Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
warming the brew cycle

Posted by greengrass1 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 11:05

Walmart has submersible heater for $10 that will do 15 gallon container. Nights in zone 5 are still on cool side relative to making good tea but my garlic and other plants are ready for some good stuff. Has anybody heated their brewing cycle with these little heaters? if so do they do the job?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: warming the brew cycle

Just called manufacturer. The heaters are designed to work in room that is 68 degrees>. That leaves my garage out where the temps still get down in high 20s or 30s.

o

Good call calling the manufacturer.

Submersible heaters would seem to need liquid.

I do not like adding liquid, electricity, breakable glass all together.

Some ideas that may be of interest are plant growing mats or brewing belts designed to keep a volume of liquid warmer. Reptile mats if waterproof.

Those hand warmer things do not seem to last until their expiration date. So those for extra cold nights will not work.

o

You're probably right I think I'll forget about submersible heater. Tried heating mats last yr don't think it worked very well. Something simple that I overlooked is warming the water up before I put in bucket.

o

Hate to throw a curve into this, but if you're brewing tea (aerated vermicompost tea?), the necessity of a heater will guarantee that the biology in the tea will meet an icy death when removed from that heat source and distributed into the cold, hard facts of unlivable conditions for that biology.

AVCT needs to be spread in warm, tropical-like temps. 60 above is good. 70-80 ideal.

The little critters are delivered to the intended locations wet, naked, and a little fatigued by all that helter-skelter lifestyle you've put them through.

Chuckiebtoo

o

OK then. Looks like I will settle for a simple fert program til June unless el nino throws a better curve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here