Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karendee_gw

I think I will give worms a try....

karendee
14 years ago

I have some tidy cat pails. One is taller than the other so they fit nicely with space in the bottom one.

I plan to read here and learn. I also will add drainage and air holes.

Now my problem is worms. I am trying to decide if I buy them or just dig a few up in the garden.

I also plan to keep the system in the basement where they can stay cooler.

Can worms eat tea leaves? I make ice tea a lot and may use that.

I am excited to add worms to my gardening fun inside!

Karen

Comments (13)

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

I don't think the kitty litter buckets have enough surface area to get a significant herd going. I know the feeling though, I am also always looking for something to do with them!

I would try to get a starter batch from a local wormer. Your extension office or local Master Gardener's group may be able to refer you to someone. You don't know what worms you have in your garden. Unless you are very lucky, the earthworms in your garden will not be as efficient as compost worms, and if they are deep diggers they could be very unhappy in your bins. You are better off attracting them to a compost pile outside.

Worms don't need to keep too cool, but a 55F basement should be acceptable. Redworms like it 65-80 for maximum production.

Worms love tea leaves. They are one of the first things to disappear when I toss them in. Like most creatures, though, they need some variety in their diet, so don't just feed them tea leaves. Anything organic that's not animal based is fine.

• smalltowngal
    14 years ago

I would buy the worms. I use rubbermaid totes in my basement and they seem to be doing well after a week and a half. I've already seen some cocoons. I've given my worms some tea but they seem to really like UCG, used coffee grounds. Also, newbie hint, I suggest doing a mixture of newspaper and cardboard for the bedding. It seems to do better for moisture and aeration.

• karendee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info... I wish the buckets would be large enough :( I read a post where someone did a small batch of worms somewhere. I was hoping to do the same.

I will look and see what I can do in a larger area. The basement has heat/ac so it is cooler than the house but not by much.

I guess I can order some worms somewhere, right?

I have plenty of organic matter to give the worms. A family of 4 has plenty of food trash!! I just need to learn what to add. I was thinking of starting the bin before the worms arrive so the food will get nice and yucky for the little buggers.

Karen

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

You can raise worms in buckets, but the herd will stay small. Your bucket might support a pound of worms, but not much more than that. For a family of 4, you will want a larger bin.

• karendee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

a pound of worms is just fine with me. I figure I will not send all the kitchen scraps to the worm bin just yet. I just want a few worms to get some poop for the garden :) Or maybe just a fun activity with the kids. My sons will like the worms I think.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I may try the smaller buckets for now. I sure hope I can get some cheap or free worms somewhere (hubby will kill me if I buy worms lol)

Karen

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Karen ... I saw a picture [can't remember where] of one man's vermi-farm in plastic coffee cans. I'm sure the smaller bins will work. BTW - something that your kids might enjoy would be using a flashlight with red celophane over light to watch the worms in a dark room. It is hard enough for we adults to keep from digging around to see what our wrigglers are up to ... can just imagine kids. Also, have you checked out the blog .. redwormcomposting.com ? Bently has a lot of experiments that your kids might enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: RWC

• karendee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks borderbard!

I am collecting materials to get the bin going today. I plan to get the bin ready before adding any worms.

Karen

• 11otis
    14 years ago

WOW!!!

• antoniab
    14 years ago

karendee, I see you are west of Chicago. I am in Rockford. If that is not too far a trek, I could supply you with a small start of wormies. And maybe talk you through some basics? I am pretty new too, but sometimes it is nice to see what is going on. I actually have a previous worm bin around too...

• karendee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow you guys are great! Rockford is about 75 miles from me. Hubby might think I am crazy driving that far :) Thanks for the offer.

I have begun collecting stuff for my bin and put it in the kitty bucket. I may decide to get a larger system before I add worms.

I also have a bunch of brown bannanas I froze for bannana bread. I took 2 out and squished them over the pile of stuff I have. They are nice and slimy. I also added shredded cardboard, shredded paper, dirt and some clippings from my herbs and flowers (I even added some of the mint I have from the garden)

I figure I will get the bin nice and ready before the worms arrive. I also have red worms in the garden so I may try adding them first.

I will read here and learn as much as I can.

THANKS
    Karen

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

I have my worms in two 4 gallon buckets. I would love some kitty litter buckets but with no cat I will have to scrounge around for some.

If you have a compost bin outside you should find some worms in there.

• karendee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have plenty of worms outside. I have a compost area that has them :)

Here is what I have in the bin so far (no worms yet)
    Dirt/compost
    bananas and peel (were frozen and I microwaved them to thaw)
    yucky lettuce gone bad
    garden leaves (mint, grass clipping, oregano leaves etc)
    shredded cardboard (tp tubes and thin cardboard boxes)
    some packing paper ripped in pieces

Plan to add
    UCG
    Tea leaves
    egg shells
    anything else that can get the bin going...

I am hoping to get the bin nice and ready before even adding any worms.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am learning a lot.
    I don't even have any worms and I can't leave my small bin alone. lol
    I may need to find a larger one...

Karen

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus