Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding my worms..is it ok?

Posted by pomme8916 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 11:16

Hey all, it's been quite a while since i first posted. I've been really busy with work and school and haven't had much time to do much else. Anyways I was hoping you could help me a bit since I am just starting out this vermicomposting thing. I notice I had a container full of lettuce. It seems to have developed a brown "juice" and has some fluffy white mold growing on it. my question is, would this be safe to feed the worms? its been sitting out for a while and doesn't smell too good. I would like to thank you all for the help.

pomme8916

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding my worms..is it ok?

I would dump it in the worm bin and cover it with bedding. The only things I would be hesitant on would be a large amount of cabbage or broccolli stems. Those I would try to put in my outdoor compost. Everyone vermicomoposts differently so I would expect a variety of correct answers.

o
RE: Feeding my worms..is it ok?

pomme8916: it will depend on how big your container of lettuce is respective to your worm bin. I could throw a gallon's worth of rotting lettuce with the gunky "juice" into my 4' x 4' outdoor wormery and it would get absorbed nearly immediately. Throw that same amount into a 5 gal. mini-bin and I'd probably kill a bunch of worms.

The "brown "juice" and has some fluffy white mold" is fine - no worries there even if it stinks. It's the quantity you need to watch. equinox's advice about adding bedding will definitely help. In fact, you could even soak up that juice ahead of time with some dry, asbsorbent bedding (egg cartons, cardboard).

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here