Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can O' Worms - harvesting

Posted by bettyn_gardener 9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 11:21

I'm wondering about harvesting the casings in a Can o' Worms. If I put the bottom tray full of casings on top level and leave the lid off, will the worms move down to the bottom two trays?

BettyN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can O' Worms - harvesting

Sounds like an OK plan to me. I read a harvesting method once where you do what you say, then scrape off an inch at a time across a few hours, the little fellas keep moving down away from the light. When there's not much left, start feeding in your new top tray.

Cheers
Jay

o

• Posted by sqh1 z7 NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 21:30

If you have all 3 trays on, all your worms and food should be in the top 2 trays. That 3rd (original)tray should be virtually all compost ready to be used. Once emptied it rotates to the top, as the top working tray.

o

I have a three story plastic worm condo and many of the worms stay in the basement swimming pool. What am I doing wrong?

o

urbfarmer,

That's been my experience as well. After many months I lifted the top trays to see what was going on in the bottom reservoir and it was full of casings and worms. I don't know if they couldn't make their way back up to the top or just preferred the basement...

BettyN

o

Betty...I have been havesting casting in my Can O Worms using the method you described. I take the layer to be harvested and put it on top, leave the cover off and place it out in the sun. As the top layer drys the worms travel down to the next layer where its moist. This seems to work best for seperating the worms from the finishing compost/casting mix.

o

gatatl,

Thanks for the feedback!

BettyN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here