Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antoniab_gw

Vitamins in the Bin

antoniab
14 years ago

I was reading past posts, and got to thinking about two of them. One was the post that imaque started where a video was posted about a commercial grower adds some mineral powder to the compost.

Another one was the one that smalltowngal started about unusual things you feed to your worms. Together, they got me thinking...

I have a surplus of chewable vitamins. My youngest daughter has genetic disease and needs extra vitamins, but she is picky, and likes certain shapes and flavors, so they often go out of favor before getting used. I try to con the other kids into using them, but no go. My hubby and I can only chew up so many old princess vits. I was actually thinking about planting one or two next to each tomato and pepper plant.

But I also thought about this too.

What if the worms liked them? I could just put them in the compost and let them go into the soil, but what fun is that? If the worms like them, they could eat them too!

So I got a small styrofoam box, that measures about 5 inches by 4 inches inside. I put in 10 worms, and some bedding, and a vitamin (a pink princess head) inside a toilet tube. The bedding is corrugated cardboard, leaves, and newspaper.

There is enough in there for the worms to be fine without eating the vitamin. But, the vitamin dissolves very quickly in water, so they may like it anyway.

I know this is kinda silly, but maybe afterwards, If they eat the vitamins, my worms could beat up your worms.

If they aren't dead.

For really average photos, go to: http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/antfiresbetter/Vitamin_Worm%20Experiment/

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio