Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gorgeous worm bins

Posted by metaphora 7A (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 12:42

Surfing the web and ran across these gorgeous worm bins designed by an architectural firm in Ireland. Not sure how practical they would be (risk of overwatering, temp changes, etc), but they sure are gorgeous!!

http://www.abgc.ie/design/wormery

Here is a link that might be useful: ABGC Architecture - Wormery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gorgeous worm bins

Yes Gorgeous.

My concerns are the amount of weight on those two brackets and their attachment to the wall.

Also "if your trays are filling up too fast you can add more. The lower section is lined to collect the rich leachate from the upper trays and has simple brass tap to one side to drain off this worm ‘tea’ which is great organic liquid fertilizer when diluted 1:10 with water." nearly gives me conniptions and has me wriggling around the floor like a worm in the sun. Leachate from too much kitchen waste does not produce a "great organic liquid fertilizer". It produces rotten leachate abet through a deluxe brass tap. One vermicomposter on this board does have success running water periodically through the bin. This is his way of harvesting the vermicasting. Totally different process.

I am not sure how new additions are made to the bin. Perhaps the garden on top is lifted.

It does look about 5 million times better than any of my bins.

o
RE: Gorgeous worm bins

metaphora,
Thanks for posting! They are lovely :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here