Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First harvest of rubbermaid bin

Posted by jonas302 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 12:57

I just harvested 40 pounds of castings and I'm happier than a worn in manure

I just wanted to share my setup so other newbies don't get scared to start a bin

Last fall I found a 35 gallon rubbermaid laying around poked it full of holes I put a hole with screen over it on the bottom for drainage in the basment I had an old table that takes a center leaf so I opened the center and put the bottom drain over a pail it never really had much to drain though

The bin was started with wet shredded newspaper somecardboard an old bag od peat moss and a handful of sand and two pounds of worms off Ebay I wish I remembered the seller they were great worms

I wasn't shy about feeding them the bin being so big there was plenty of space I gave them everything I had from a egshell to a few pound of trimmings a day odor wasn't a problem I did have to increase the top layer of bedding to keep the fruit flies away

It has been a simple and carefree experience thanks to all the people on here so go out and get a bin going
I'm going to work on a barrel flow though for the summer

Thanks All
Jonas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First harvest of rubbermaid bin

Would like to see a picture! 40 pounds is a lot! Good for you!

How did you harvest?

o

Thanks I'm really happy to compost my kitchen waste during the MN winter. I will try to get pics after I get my camera to work although its not much to look at(:

I harvested very slowly using the dump on the floor drive the worms down with light I wanted to try the burlap method but didn't find any right at the moment which is why I will be working on a flow though

o

There is no way I would dump and sort my 35 gallon container. 10 gallons was bad enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here