Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bedding

Posted by wowworms MI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 13:54

When i got my worms 2 weeks ago, the guys you gave them to me said he keeps them in wet newspaper and peat moss. I have about a 50/50 mix. The worms seem to be happy they are eating and not escaping. As i read some of the posts I thought i should question an expert before i make any changes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bedding

It's really up to you and what you have available. I just recently started and just use shredded paper, torn newspaper & cardboard.

Others use mixes of paper, peat, coco bricks, old compost, aged manure.

It's really up to you as to what you have on hand. Just be sure that you don't have a mixture that will heat up when you put them together. If you're not sure it's best to put them together for several days and give them a good stir a couple of times and make sure they don't give any heat.

It's not in my best interest to purchase bedding because there is so much waste that can be used for that purpose already. If I had easy access to manure I would probably use a little of that as most that use it say it's great & the worms love it.

I do believe if you use peat it's best to rinse it good before you use it. I haven't used it myself, but I believe I read that when I was setting up my bin. We have a bag sitting in the barn that a soil tester told me not to put on my garden so I was considering adding some of it to my bin at some point. Peat, I believe, can hold a lot of moisture too so do watch out for that as that's something a lot of newbies have trouble with.

HTH.. Have Fun!! :)

o

I go along with Suziqzer. Using bedding materials that we already have keeps waste out of landfills and doesn't cost anything.

I don't like Peat Moss because it can be acid. It is also a non renewable resource.

Marshall

o

I use a mixture of shredded newsprint, shredded cardboard, and coffee grounds (which I get free from Starbucks) I agree - why waste your money buying something when so many free options are available?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here