Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaul_gw

Cocoon Sifter

Shaul
14 years ago

Recently at my local Home Center, in their Housewares dep't. I came across a flour-type sifter with larger holes. The holes are 3mm or 1/8" square and the cocoons fall right through. I've just finished transferring the worms from the old bin to the new one and I was going to do like I've read others doing (letting the castings and cocoons sit and 'cook' for a month or two to allow the cocoons to hatch); but now it may not be necessary. The castings are still wettish and lumpy and there's a quantity of unprocessed shredded cardboard as well as tea bags that will still need to dry before I can separate them from the castings, but if I can sift out as many cocoons as possible, then they can hatch in the new bin with the rest of the worms. This way, instead of having to add more food for the emerging worms, any small worms that I don't catch, can work on the remaining cardboard and tea bags.

Shaul

Comments (5)

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Shaul, I am a little confused by your post. I sift larger material out during harvest with 1/2" mesh and return it to the bed when I am finished. This has left me with about 90-95% finished material containing a few worms and many cacoons. After this sits un-fed for a few months I will do a finer sift prior to use. I'm not an expert, it's just my approach. Hope this helps. Pete

• Shaul
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pete;
    Actually I'm still rather confused myself. Since this is my very first harvest, I don't have a tried & true method of finishing off the vermicompost process. Like the worms I'm still very much ' in the dark '.

Shaul

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Shaul I am on my third harvest and have done it different each time. Next time will also be different. If I ever figure it out I will be sure and let you know. What I am doing with a finish tub is trying to hatch as many cacoons as posible before I use it. I try to remove as much food/bedding before. Any worms still in there do not need food and could survive for a very long time.
    I made a tumbling sifter out of 2 5-gallon buckets with the bottoms cut out. I cut 1/4 inch hardware cloth to fit around the outside and attached with plastic ties. I used 1" PVC pipe axle down the center attached to the buckets with a couple pieces of allthread with nuts and more ties. Slip over a broomstick, add some stuff from the bin and slowly spin. I am on my second version with a hopper and adjustable stand. I hope only finished castings and a few eggs will fall through the screen, and worms and unfinished material come out the other end. The operation requires 2 people and beer. Pete

• pjames
    14 years ago

Pete...I agree!! Casting/coccoon sifting requires beer. I just sifted a pile of castings then picked thru it manually. I had some scrap 1/2 inch hardware cloth which is way too big. One thing I realized was that in a few minutes i'd saved out more coccoons and juvenile worms than I started out with.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

shaul: Well I made a 1'x1' screen with 1/8 inch hardware cloth and harvested 2 Rubbermaid bins. now I must thank you for the post, it works. I thought it was too fine of mesh but it seems like the cocoons ride up with the courser material while the heaver castings fall through. I did not feed the bins for two weeks prier to sifting and it was about a Month of withholding water. I then scooped out the castings and broke them up (they were clumping)with a large serving spoon I have reclaimed for worming. Then I hand sieved the bins into a tote. I could not find a cocoon and only a couple of small worms. You have to work fast when you screen, worms will head down and try to crawl through if you don't. I also tried a larger size about 1/4 inch The worms hung up and fell through the screen. I have since made a frame to fit over a tote with a shaker screen to speed up the harvest a bit. Not that it was slow, it went so much faster than hand sorting. Sorry I do not have pictures and I hope this makes sense. It might be the roundness of the hardware cloth from the galvanizing is what makes it work?

Curt~

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths