Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonguynomore

Escaping worms

bostonguy
15 years ago

So, this is my third attempt at trying vermicomposting in a wooden bin with three stacked trays.

My bin had been doing fine for almost two months, till I added a yogurt container-full of rotting vegetables on one side. The worms seemed to be doing fine when I checked a day after I added the food and had migrated to the new food, and I didn't check the bin for a couple of days, till I found about 15 worms on the floor - dried up and dead :( - that had escaped from the bin. The few worms that were in the food I'd added were sluggish and I moved them over to the other side. Luckily, there are still some worms in the bin.

There wasn't any mite infestation, though there are some mites in the bin.

So, it seems like the worms didn't like the food, as rest all conditions (ventilation, moisture) seem fine, and I'm trying to trouble-shoot.

The yogurt container I use (32 oz) has holes drilled on the sides and I do keep the lid on. When I emptied the food in the bin (it had been sitting in the container for at least 2-3 weeks, probably more, outside on the window sill, i.e., not in the freezer/fridge) and had some white fungus/web-like stuff growing at the top, I did notice that the stuff at the bottom of the container was very smelly (anaerobic?). Could that be a reason why the worms didn't like it? It wasn't any different food than what I'd fed them in the past.

I'm going to get rid of the food I added, and try adding some "fresh" food, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips to prevent this from happening in future. Probably, I should've frozen the container and then thawed it out before adding the food to the bin.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• mcec
    15 years ago

I have a plastic worm bin..... it does not sound as nice as yours.... but I too had escaping worms..... until I lined the bin with a light porus material...... Landscape material might work. I used some polyester basket ball shirt material I had on hand. it worked great: no escapees for years. cecile

• fosteem1
    15 years ago

Your food was too old and had gone anaerobic. You want food that is fresh just starting to decompose but not rotten. If it stinks it has gone anaerobic and is toxic to the worms and the microbes that the worms eat. Both the worms and the microbes need oxygen the live.

Think of it this way.
    With aerobic decomposition ( in the presence of oxygen ) the food should still smell like food. But just starting to spoil/decompose, starting to look and smell 'OFF'. You want the worms to eat it before it starts to rot.

Rotting is anaerobic decomposition ( without the presence of oxygen ). The Stinky smell is a dead giveaway. You should feed or store the food in a freezer before it reaches this stage. Don't let it sit out for over a week in any case.

Try cutting a large hole in the lid of a container putting a paper towel on top and putting the lid on over the towel. That should give you enough air.

• bostonguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fosteem1, thanks for your comment.
    BTW, for how long (days) do you keep food (for worms) outside at room temperature before you put in in freezer, or feed it to worms? Or do you not keep it outside at all, and keep your container in fridge/freezer as you add food scraps to it?

---------

mcec, I've thought about lining the bottom with a porous material that won't allow worms to escape, and if I have more worms escaping, I will try that out. Currently, I have a cardboard egg carton (soaked in water and flattened) at the bottom. But escaping worms give a clue that something is wrong in the bin.

• sbryce_gw
    15 years ago

I put food scraps directly in the freezer. When I feed, they go directly from the freezer to the bin, though giving them a few hours to thaw would probably be better that putting frozen food scraps directly into the bin.

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

I keep the large rectangular plastic container that baby greens come in, in my frig and toss my veggie scraps in there. I peel my potatoes and carrots directly into it.

When it's full, I chop everything either manually or using the food processor, then put into bags and freeze.
    I thaw and drain for a day, then feed to the lads. They've never complained about their food, and they get everything from potatoes, to lemons and oranges, onion butts, cabbage cores, etc.

• steamyb
    15 years ago

When I put frozen food in the bin, the worms were all stuck to it like in the "Christmas Story" movie. I had to call the fire department.

• bostonguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, for sharing their thoughts. I will make sure to feed the worms only aerobically active food, and not anaerobically active. That seemed to have triggered the exodus.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH