Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first complete year of a worm bin

Posted by gardenmom z4 WA (GardenMom360@gmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 14:15

I started my first indoor worm bin last spring. I use 2 RM containers stacked, with small drain holes in the bottom and air holes at the tops of one bin. I've never had any liquid accumulate in the bottom bin, but it's there just in case. I harvested twice last summer and fall, getting a 5 gal bucket of great compost both times.

After the last harvesting, I put 2" peat moss in the bottom of the bin, re-stocked with kitchen scraps and covered with shredded cardboard. I meant to put the bin in the under-stairs closet with the hot water heater (for warmth and dark) while we went away for the winter. But, I forgot and left them in my sunroom. It was a pleasant surprise to return in late March and find a tub of great compost and lots of wriggly worms!

I am now a very happy vermicomposter. Now if I could be as successful with my outdoor compost pile.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first complete year of a worm bin

This was the 2nd time that a post of mine appears twice. Anybody know why?

And apparently I can't just delete one of them???

Chuckiebtoo

This post was edited by chuckiebtoo on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:54

o
RE: My first complete year of a worm bin

"Now if I could be as successful with my outdoor compost pile....."

The reason I got into vermicomposting was because I couldn't, or wouldn't, put in the time and effort it takes to be successful with one.

And after seeing how the worms will do all the work for you and make infinitely better compost, I converted my pile to a cold compost one. Works, but just REAL slow.

Congrats, and welcome to the joys of worming.

Chuckiebtoo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here