Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

the power of vermicompst

OklaMoni
11 years ago

There is life in there!!!

Let me tell you, this is totally amazing to me.

Today, after my rolling compost bin that was filled with vermicompost in November 2010 and was moved to my daughter's yard, I found live worms! I was getting a divorce, and was house sitting at the time... and then lived in an apartment... but my daughter had plants of mine, along with compost, and the worm bin (which is actually a compost bin).

I am thrilled. Of course, I got lucky, and Carolyn sent me some of hers (which by the way are living in their own worm bin right now)... and I decided I needed more, and ordered a pound last Friday.....

The bin had sat in her side yard, western exposure all this time. It was ssssooooooooo hot and dry last summer in Oklahoma... and I hadn't found any sign of life last week, when I got my bin back. See, I am in a house now.

I was cutting up green matter to add to the partially composted matter in that bin. After rolling it around, to mix all up, I opened it, to see if it had gotten mixed. Low and behold, I found worms!

Sooo, now I had the nice job of separating the greens I had just mixed in... but in my euphoria I didn't care. :)

You should never give up on worms, or worm eggs being in the vermicompost.

Moni

Comments (3)

• mendopete
    11 years ago

Moni, worms are truly AMAZING! When conditions are bad, they leave cocoons before dieing. I believe these cocoons can remain viable for a loooong time, waiting for conditions to get right again. How many did you pick out of there?

Pete

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't count. LOL, I just dumped the whole mass in a plastic worm bin from my past... and set it in the bushes, where they will be in the shade.

I will give them time to finish their job.. and check in on them now and again, and hope for a fall harvest.

Meanwhile, I got a confirmation email that my purchased worms are on their way.

• dowbright
    11 years ago

Isn't it exciting! I'm so happy for you. I love those moments when we get surprised and amazed. :D

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH