Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfreak_gw

Good price for a pound of worms

gardenfreak
15 years ago

Hi:

Want to try vermi-composting and I am looking in buying some worms. Which ones are good ones and what is a good price for a pound? How many worms can I expect to get in a pound?

Comments (8)

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

I have bought worms here twice. They were $24. a pound, less per pound the more you buy.
    The worms were fine. The service good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Mountain Soil

• joe.jr317
    15 years ago

I paid $40 for 2 pounds from gardenworms.com. They came from Uncle Jim's. It appears this farm has a good reputation, so maybe my experience was isolated. Anyway, here it is:

I bought the worms online and was told they had shipped. Oddly enough, I didn't get the worms for 2 weeks after I was told they had shipped in an automated e-mail (or at least I think it was automated). That is a total of 3 weeks. I don't count the first week because I know that it is a standard to ship only at the beginning of the week due to postal concerns of leaving a package on a truck on the weekend. But, for this reason, I also actually expected a longer time before shipping because Thanksgiving was a week after I placed the order. Surely if they were concerned about Sunday they would be concerned about a non-delivery Thursday, too. Either the post office screwed up or they screwed up and told me the worms shipped when they didn't. Don't know. My problem wasn't delivery time, though. My problem was that I e-mailed them twice and got no response. Then after the beginning of the second week I called and spoke to one of them. Maybe he was having an off day, but he had a bad attitude. He said, "Well, you did order them right before a holiday." So am I to assume they prefer not to get orders before holidays? Fine. Blame the customer. Anyway, the worms arrived weighing in at 1 pound with the bedding, which was nearly completely dry peat. I realize that worms lose weight in transit, but come on. Uncle Jim's does have guarantees, however I didn't take advantage of it because the incredibly skinny worms were alive and I couldn't be sure if it was the worm farm's fault as the post office is developing a bad reputation that is sending everyone to private delivery services daily. I just vowed to take my business elsewhere in the future. I plan to buy a couple pounds of Euros from Redwormcomposting.com for a different system for bait. If anyone has a good or bad review on him, please share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redwormcomposting.com

• 11otis
    15 years ago

joe.jr:

from what I've read from posts on
    http://vermicomposters.ning.com/
    people are happy with the worms they received. They already got cocoons shortly after.

I personally have not bought from them because they ship only in US. Their aff. co. in Canada is not compatible in price.

• moonlocks
    15 years ago

I got my first 700 worms ("in all stages of development from egg to mature") in two ridiculous little takeout containers from the local garden center for $15 each! I had hoped to buy locally . . . and that's what I got.

A week later I ordered two pounds from Redwormcomposting.com and they were great. I didn't weigh the bunch, but there was a big ball of worms there and with bedding seemed a lot heavier than 2 lbs. They arrived within two days of shipping. I could not have been happier with them. I realized not long after that I have so many more greens and browns than my 2700 worms can handle (even after they multiply) that I'm starting a new flow-through that I made in a 45 gal trash bin. I've ordered another 4 lbs from redwormcomposting.com which will come next week. With shipping included, I think I paid a little over $21 a pound (volume discount)--which is a huge improvement over $15 for a little carton of 350 babies and eggs.

• organimom
    15 years ago

I bought a pound of worms from www.wormwoman.com for $24 plus shipping on Monday and got them this morning. They were in a nice clump of soil in a damp cardboard box. As far as I can tell they are all very active. Now we'll just have to see if the home I made for them is to their liking.

• vappregan
    10 years ago

best price red Californian worms 1pound = 10$

but the problem is I live in Croatia,Europe shipping is high 17-18$ and long trip for worms,not belive they wood come alive to USA I pay fast mail here in Croatia and my mail come in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) one or 2 days but then they preparing for shippment for week or more, or sometimes like this try to track my shippment RB511719975HR i send it 09.09.2013.like priority mail to USA. THANKS.

• mherron2213
    10 years ago

Hi GF: i read all the comments - I see you ordered from gardenworms.com . No comment there.
    I ordered 2000 worms from Uncle Jim's and tracked the shipment - the order arrived on-time. The worms were very active. i received the worms on the first week of May '13. I now have a ga'zillion worms. I am three layers deep in a 5 tier worm farm. The worms were great - and in my opinion not expensive. Near Chicago here

Follow up: gardenworms.com ships by count as does Uncle Jim's 500, 1000, 2000. I am not sure how Joe Jr's '1 LB' comment is relevant. I would suggest ordering from directly Uncle Jim's since the price is less

Mike

This post was edited by MHERRON2213 on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 18:10

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

I also got my wigglers from Jims worm farm. Before I that I got a lb from another outlight and was really disappointed with them. I recommend jims.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone