Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Composting in Smart Pots?

Posted by juelz919 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 15:01

I haven't yet started my worm compost bin yet. Mostly because near me is a nursery that sells 1cu. Ft. Of castings For $10.

But I had an interesting idea about starting a worm compost bin in a 20 gallon smart pot.

The fabric will freely allow oxygen to get in from all angles. But should keep the worms in and block light out.

Do you guys see anything wrong with this idea?
Thanks for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Composting in Smart Pots?

I think your smart pot idea is a good one. If you plan to keep it outside, make sure it is in shade. The tricky part will be the harvest. I would either;
1) stack another pot on top when the first one is nearly full and get the worms to move up, or 2) dump and sort.

$10/CU' is cheap, but free is cheaper. I bought 1 lb. of worms a few years ago and now harvest several cubic yards of VC annually. Good luck and please let us know how it goes for you.

Pete

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here