Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Tiny Flys Walk Tail to Tail

equinoxequinox
14 years ago

I have tiny, skinny, black flys that stick together tail to talk and walk around. One has to walk backwards. I do not think they are fruit or fungus flys. They have wings but I can't say as they fly. They patrol around the compost. Their numbers are stable and reasonable. I don't mind them at all. As they don't fly they don't seem a negative. They may even be a possitive. I had had on damp egg carton cardboard white, oval things that seemed to be lined up in a pattern. They did not seem to ever move. They did not appear to be eggs because they seemed to have legs. I think they were springtails. They never jumped. But once these tiny, skinny, one has to walk backwards flys arrived I never saw the white things again. Maybe they did them in somehow. Any idea what either of the two things are?

Comments (13)

• californian
    14 years ago

They are in love and having sex.

• 11otis
    14 years ago

Those are mating fungus gnats. And while they are in the process, flying will be difficult I imagine. One forward and the other backward >>> stay put.

• 11otis
    14 years ago

"One forward and the other backward >>> stay put."
    I meant both flying forward but in opposite direction.

• rythm_guru
    14 years ago

I too have these small flies in my bin and have been wondering what they were. I've had my bin going now for about 15 months (indoor wooden box) and everything has been going great. I've never had one worm try to leave the bin and fruit flies have been under control with the exception of the occasional outbreak which only lasted a short time. The pill bug population has been growing, but I've come to appreciate these little helpers and they stay within the walls of my bin.

These new creatures (fungus gnats?) have been the only thing to wander from the bin and they have become troublesome in our house. They are all over the window sills, they like to sip our wine, and can be found far away from the bin. I'm to the point where I can no longer ignore them and hope that I can find some solutions here by searching old posts.

If I were you I'd begin looking into ridding yourself of these things before the population gets out of control.

Best of luck!

Mike

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

If your bin is far away from the kitchen, a No Pest Strip will control the flies.

Your pill bugs stay in the bin? Mine have always crawled out. If I could get them to stay put, I'd try putting some in my bin. The make short work out of anything with cellulose in it.

• rythm_guru
    14 years ago

"Your pill bugs stay in the bin?" from sbryce

Yes, I've never seen one pill bug outside of the bin. I use fall leaves and small grape vines roughly cut up as my only source of bedding and to this day, I've never seen a single bug outside of my bin, with the exception of the flies I've mentioned.

My bin is located in the room just of the kitchen so it sounds like the No Pest Strips you've mentioned wouldn't work. Why would that be?

Thanks.

Mike

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

The active ingredient in a No Pest Strip is also toxic to humans, so they recommend it only be used in areas where food is not being prepared.

Hot Shot makes a bug spray that is supposed to be safe for use in kitchens. Whether it is safe to use around a worm bin is another matter.

• catniplemon
    14 years ago

equinox...could this be the little critters you're seeing? I also have read that there is a Springtail with no springy-tail that can reside inside of a worm bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny white 'bugs' picture

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

catniplemon, thank you for the picture. I have seen it before. Yes it is similar but not exact. Because in this picture some are a bit bent and the things I saw were all straight. But yes it is close. And I could never determine the leg situation. The legs in the picture are very small and would be hard to see. But I also would not cross out the possibility it might be them. I have never seen then again since. Some people do not like their spring tails. And I thought if these things were spring tails these skiny black flys that do not bother me at all could be put in their bin it might help.

My black flys do not ever fly. They also seem shiny maybe like a beatle shell. But with wings. I do not think they are fungus flys. I do not like fungus flys since the place I saw then was at a public bathroom floor drain. But I sort of like these shiny black no fly things walking around tail to tail. I might have to break down and do the whole camera post a picture thing.

• cheelo
    14 years ago

@equinoxequinox: This is most probably the Sciaridae, also know as the dark-winged fungus gnats. They are having good time while they are in that position lol. If your bin is inside your house this could become a problem, otherwise not really.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Sciaridae

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think you've got it!!!

Thank you!

Mine seem cuter than the picture.

Minute Black Scavenger Fly (Scatopsidae: Scatopse sp.)
    --Noticeably black and rather thick bodied gnat about 3 mm long with short antennae and legs. Pairs are often seen coupled together tail to tail, the female dragging the male about. These small flies specialize in feeding on decayed plant material.
    http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/urbanhabitat/compost.html

Warning Large Photo of Bugs
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/287685

These things run around all day like a forward and backward coupled locomotives. I have never seen them fly. They seem to stay on top of the compost patroling around or on the compost bucket. They do not seem to leave the bucket. They are sort of cute zooming all around like little trains.

• cheelo
    14 years ago

@equinoxequinox: Yes they can fly and very fast, faster than fruit fly. They like to go where is the light (eg.: in windows, light, etc). I've got 2 or 3 infastation of those during my vermicomposting carrer lol haha, and i can say its really paintfull to get rid of.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far I don't see any flying, so I can keep them.
    I think I like them better than the worms.
    My seed starts did great last year despite sitting in water the entire flood of a spring.
    That is supposed to be a serious concern in green houses.
    I am so happy to have seen a picture with a name.

Merci Beaucoup