Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MINI worm composter

Posted by slystr 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 15:42

Here is my mini worm composter. I can't deal with a reg size bin in my kitchen and they will fry outside in my unshaded yard. I wanted to show my kid decomopsition and the plant cycle so I built this out of a 2 liter soda bottle. It has straw and rabbit poop and worms with a layer of funky red bell pepper and yellow cilantro all covered with more straw worms and rabbit poop/dirt.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MINI worm composter

I am anxious to see how this experiment goes since it is contrary to most worm bin composting recommendations:
ie.
1. Clear bin
2. Coarse bedding
3. Acidic feed
Keep us posted.

o

Creative.

o

I;ve done this before and it works just fine. I'm not going for high worm production just enough decay and consumption to show my kid how it all works. Last time my bin lasted 1.5 years until I forgot it to death.

o

When it grows you could upsize to the 3 liter bottles.

If you are sucessful with this tiny bin you should be sucessful with any bin. The larger the bin the easier to not error too wet, too dry.

o

I am lovin the back ground fabric!!! I wonder if the worms think they are in outer space!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here