Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
11otis

Worms squirming???

11otis
15 years ago

I thawed the worm food at room temp. before I put it in the bin. This time since there seemed to be quiet a bit I drained and bottled the access liquid, poured it over an area where it looked dry.

There was a worm between a large piece of cardboard and the side of the bin so I poured some over her/him/it and she/he/it started squirming and writhing which really shocked me and I quickly poured fresh water over it and it seemed to recover. Whether or not it survived this unfortunate episode, I couldn't tell. (Sorry, couldn't put a small enough tag on them.)

That bag of food contained chopped banana peel and veggie. It didn't smell sour or fermented.

Anyone has any idea why the worm would be squirming and writhing?

Should I always drain thawed worm-food (or even sqeeze out) as much liquid possible? I thought the liquid also contained some food values for the worms/MO.

I guess I could have gotten the pH test strips and see what it shows. Please do not suggest I send a sample out for a lab test. Spending money for pH test strip would be the max. $$ I would spend on this issue. And isn't it WHY we have THIS forum so we can learn from each others' opinion and experiences without spending big bucks? I'm cheap that way. I rather spend $$ to get more worms. (even THAT hurts)

Thanks for your input.

Otis.

Comments (4)