Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Egg Shell Cracking

equinoxequinox
14 years ago

Idealy I would have a gallon container near my sink into which I toss all egg shells. When they dry I would have fun smashing them down to make room for the next batch. So far I do not have that container but I do have egg shells. Rather than use electricity whizzing them in the blender or breathing in the dust I have wrapped them in a sheet of newspaper and rolled over them with a wine bottle or can. Shake, rattle and roll again. This produces very fine shells and no dust. I toss the package whole into the vermibin.

Comments (8)

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Eggshells go in an old sock on the back porch. Every once in a while smash and use. Pete

• randy_coyote
    14 years ago

Thinking about starting a worm bin. Do egg shells need to be crushed for the worms? I don't crush them for my CP, but since my compost is for the veggie garden, I don't care so much about aesthetics.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An old sock! Somehow that is poetic or hippy or cool.
    "Eggshells go in an old sock on the back porch. Every once in a while smash and use. Pete" Way cooler than an old fogie container next to the sink.

I crush only because when I did not I had hoped the shells would break themselves down, but the shells did not see it that way and had force fields up to retain structual integrity. I use the vermicompost for seed starting. A finer grain of compost seemed better so seeds would not have to push half inch egg shells off their heads before growing. The pulverized shell fragments seem to exit the bin the same size they went in.

For a compost pile it is not necessary nor even desirable to crush. A good argument could be made for not crushed.

If the worms took a vote they would vote for non crushed half shells. Quite, little, dark places to cuddle be fruitful and multiply.

Worms love life in the half shell.

We should all be so content.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Egg shells aren't organic, they are mineral, so we shouldn't expect them to decompose the same way that organic matter does.
    I use the electricity whizzing method to pulverize mine.

• liamsma
    14 years ago

i do know that if you don't crack them up, the worms like to curl up inside the halves.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

Well I am going with the old sock trick. I just went through my sock drawer last night and had earmarked several pair for the trash. This way I will get extra mileage out of the socks. I have been crushing the shells with an old serving spoon.

Curt~

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Curt I should have mentioned not to use clean socks. It is best to wear them for a week first to get the bacteria growing good! ;)
    Pete

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

Prte; If I spent a week in my socks you could smell them out there in California.

Curt~