Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

Terra Cycle Vs. Worm Poop

cats39
15 years ago

Hi All!

I have applauded the efforts of the founders of TerraCycle for doing their part in making a Greener Environment for All for the past sevearl years. But I must say IÂm a little confused after stopping at the local Target Department Store when for the first time I ran across several TerraCycle brand products in the Garden Department.

This will be my 4th year of vermicomposting and I swear the byproduct (castings) have done wonders for my garden as well as house plants wether used in solid or liquid form. I was rather surprised though when I picked up the gallon container of:

"TerraCycle Solid"

"Worm Casting"

"All Purpose Plant Food"

to see that the contents were not all Worm Poop.

I didnÂt have a pen handy to write down the ingredients but it was a concoction of Potash, Nitrates and Worm Castings and several other fertilizing ingredients in Granulated form and to the best of my knowledge it appeared as though the worm castings themselves were the least of the products contents.

Can someone enlighten me as to how good this product really is? To be candid Epsom Salts could very well do the same at a lesser cost. I was surprised to see the liquid forms were for varied and "specially" liquified for African Violets, Orchids, Cactus, Herb, Tomato etc etc. and several with "Added Boost" of calcium, or iron, or nitrogen etc. - personally when I want to give some of my garden plants a boost I use a can of Cola, a can of Beer and about 4 oz of Corn Syrup in an open end sprayer.

What also caught my attention was the African Violet Liquid was "Urea Free". I know that all mammals produce urea. Do worms only produce "poop"? IsnÂt there some trace element of urea from worms?

YouÂll have to forgive my ignorance but is TerraCycle more "hype" than worm castings? "Worm Castings" is HIGHLY emblazoned on the products containers for its selling point but youÂd have to read the small print too.

IÂm going to stick to the "real thing" but if anyone has any thoughts about this inquiry Thanks in Advance.

Jim

Comments (3)