Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Clitellum Found

equinoxequinox
13 years ago

All the worms are now bigger, longer and fatter. And they all have Clitellum. No eggs yet. No new babies or teenagers. I know exactly what the eggs look like. I used to have some then stored and kept damp the finished compost and harvested the bunch of babies (once they were big enough and no longer fragile) which grew into the present worms. I think the cold of the celar in New England maybe really slowed things down. Hibernation might describe the composition process in the cold. Imagine keeping your worm bin in your refrigerator. Envy of those in warmer areas. But now I'm cooking with gas.

This is an Update to Clitellum Missing which I tried adding this to but it did not post correctly or bring to the front page last night when the site was acting funkey.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0123214517733.html?7

Comments (10)

• fam62cc
    13 years ago

What the heck is clitellum?

Dave Nelson

• pjames
    13 years ago

It is the ring around the worm about 1/3 of the way down or so.. it's the reproductive area.

• fam62cc
    13 years ago

Yep, I looked it up. I should have known that.

Dave Nelson

• african
    13 years ago

Hi fam62cc - The Worm Dictionary gives the following definition: -

CLITELLUM BAND
    A band around the worms upper body, of lighter coloured flesh, found a centimetre or so behind the front of sexually mature worms. It is from the clitellum that the egg casings (cocoons) form as rings before slipping off the worm's bady, containing both the eggs and sperm from the earlier mating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Dictionary

• african
    13 years ago

For the whole story see the ezine article listed below -

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthworm Reproduction : Sexual encounters of a very weird kind

• smalltowngal
    13 years ago

If you can see that segment part, does that mean they could reproduce at anytime? So of the worms I received were older and I've that part is easily identified on some of them.

• cheelo
    13 years ago

Yes, if you see it, it means they can reproduce at anytime. When they don't have it, it doesn't means they are too old, it just mean they loose it temporally. They will loose it automatically when their population reach the max. density for space / food available. If you put the same worm that loose his clitellum in another bin where this population level is not yet reach, the worm will get back his clitellum.

• smalltowngal
    13 years ago

How exciting. Now I just need to get the food and moisture levels in my bin straightened out. I think my bin started going sour for a little bit but I left the lid off, took out a little food and then it got too dry. I think I have things about right now though because when I went to check on the moisture level of the main bedding, a couple worms wiggled back down.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still No eggs yet. I know exactly what the eggs look like. I had some last winter. Maybe when the cooler temperatures of fall arrive there will be eggs. The worms of mystery variety or varietys do seem to of grown bigger. They like to gather and I have several handfulls now. I'm pleased. But I want grandbabies.

• pjames
    13 years ago

Take a few handfuls of bedding outside and look at it under sunlight. That is the only way I can see the eggs. I need the brighter light.

On a different note. I had my 11 year old nephew sifting some vermicompost the other day and he hollered "Look at these worms, Uncle Pat..They are stuck together!!!" First time I had actually seen worms mating except in photos. When I told him they weren't 'stuck' he immediately said 'Oh I know, they are having sex!" It led to a little explanation about worms being hermaphrodites and how they would both be dropping eggs etc..

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living