Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smalltowngal_gw

Unusual things you feed your worms

smalltowngal
14 years ago

Ok, this is a bit of an addition to the cardboard thread but I was wondering what things I could give to my worms that I might not normally think about doing. Paper towel and toilet paper rolls were mentioned. I've seen on some videos that some people add napkins or paper towels. Are there any other things you might give your worms that would surprise people?

Comments (7)

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Just today I made a 'rolly-polly sandwich' out of a wet section of newspaper spread with a thin watery slurry of pumpkin on one and pune preserves on another. Rolled up the sandwich and buried just under the surface of the bedding in several of my bins. Will be interesting to see if they like rolly-polly sandwiches as much as we kids did [different ingredients - I don't think worms eat PB&J]

• Shaul
    14 years ago

How about "Disposable Plastic Silverware"?
    At a party last week, the host set the table with ' Eco-friendly ' tableware. Paper plates and cups were marked 'Starch-based' and the 'plastic' silverware (which looked and felt exactly like plastic) was marked '100% compostable'. The packaging claimed that it was bio-degradeable and would completely decompose within 90 days. So I thought "maybe the worms will eat it". So, that's my next experiment: a small bin with wet shredded cardboard and a dozen worms. maybe some moldy fruit to get the mold working and then the plate, cups and 'silverware'. But no other food added...and see what happens.

Shaul

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

Shirts? Some years ago I finally decided that my favorite knit shirt had had it and could be worn no more. The label said, 40% cotton, 60% dacron or something like that. I wondered, does that mean that the individual fibers are composed that way or that 40% of the fibers are cotton and the rest synthetic? I thought maybe the worms would tell me so I put the shirt in the COW. After several weeks or maybe months the shirt was still recognizable but obviously 40% of the fibers were cotton because they were gone and the worms continued to ignore the rest.

Dave Nelson

• antoniab
    14 years ago

Dryer lint. Since my family uses mostly cotton I thought it would be OK. But the worms mostly ignore it.

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

Anton;

Don't worry, they will get around to it. Did you moisten it a little?

Dave Nelson

• imaque
    14 years ago

About a month ago, I gave them my boutonierre from when I was a groomsman at a wedding. They devoured it.

Also, over the course of a few months, they ate a cotton tshirt that I was using to help keep fruitflies out.

When I trim my beard, I sometimes put the trimmings into my bin.

• antoniab
    14 years ago

@Dave Nelson
    Yup, I did. I put in another batch, this time forming it into a cup shape, and there was a big mass of them just hanging out last time I inspected it. But they still really haven't made a dent in breaking it down. Maybe we have more manmade fibers than I think!
    -Ant