Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbryce_gw

Goose droppings part two

sbryce_gw
15 years ago

I wrote last February about putting some goose droppings in my bin. I decided then that my experiment was inconclusive.

I tried a second batch. This time the droppings were dry. They had probably been sitting on the grass at the park since last February. I filled up a one-quart ziplock bag with droppings. I dumped the whole thing in one corner of the bin.

It took about three weeks for the droppings to break down enough for the worms to take notice, but once they did, it was like kids in a candy shop. I had a green, goopy mess that was loaded with worms.

I have since put another quart ziplock full of goose droppings in the bin on top of the others. This time I mixed them with shredded cardboard. As expected, they are breaking down slowly. I expect to find them loaded with worms in another week or two.

I am also experimenting with oranges. A friend gave me some oranges that were over the hill. I ground a couple of them up, mixed them with enough shredded cardboard to soak up the juice and piled them on top of the bedding in another corner of the bin. It has been almost a week. The oranges are covered in mold. The worms have not moved in yet.

Comments (12)

• steamyb
    15 years ago

Without a doubt, that is the sickest thing I have read on this forum. I expect to read about all kinds of poo, but goose droppings? I don't care if my worms go on strike, I will not be gathering anything that drops out of a goose. Period.

• arkiegold
    15 years ago

I think it's great people experiment with different things. There is a certain area park I know would benefit from this. Keep up the green globby!

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It has been one week. The goose droppings are starting to break down. The worms are moving in. The oranges are covered in mold. Worms have not invaded, but neither are they avoiding the bedding near the oranges.

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two weeks:

Goose droppings mushy and loaded with worms. The worms are starting to move into the oranges.

• joe.jr317
    15 years ago

Off to the park and local ponds I go! Man, I'm really starting to develop a reputation for odd behavior. First it's gathering neighbors leaves from the curb. Then it was asking for grass clippings. People look at me funny for using a reel mower on my lawn like I wouldn't be doing it if I knew of the technology of a gas powered mower. Someone else suggested gathering pumpkins in fall, which I plan to do. Now I feel an urge to gather goose droppings. I should be getting paid by the sanitation department!

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This may be the last time I use goose droppings. There is a horse stable near me that has manure to give away. I may switch from goose to horse. I feel kinda funny at the park picking up droppings, and they won't always be there.

But I have a DIY stacking system made from Rubbermaid bins. My lower bin has been going for 6 months. I think it is time for a second bin on top. So I filled a second bin with bedding and placed it on top of the existing bin. I have mixed goose droppings into the bedding to entice the worms to move up.

• fosteem1
    14 years ago

When i get my flow through completed i am thinking of adding the Turkey droppings from my yard. I was very impressed with the poultry biomass figures from the Manual of On-Farm Vermicomposting and Vermiculture.

In mixed bedding farm trials 10% poultry manure and 90% cardboard had a 90-95% conversion rate. With a five fold increase in worm biomass. The 10%-poultry-manure treatment was the only one that provided sufficient nutrition to allow worm populations to grow large enough to complete processing before worm biomass started to decrease.

I don't have that much Turkey droppings but every little bit helps. And i will have to get it out of the yard anyway.

You have all seen this link before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual of On-Farm Vermicomposting and Vermiculture

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you need to pre-compost turkey droppings?

• kurtzinpa
    14 years ago

I use chicken and rabbit manure... As soon as it's agen enough to start gathering mold the worms go after it. From what I have read ( see The Earth Moved, Amy Stewart) the microorganisms are as important as the food base for the worms.

Jeff

• fosteem1
    14 years ago

If there was a lot of Turkey droppings I would need to pre-decompose but there is only a few at a time. Maybe around a dozen a week. There shouldn't be overheating problems if i scatter them out.

I would have a larger amount of Deer, Moose and Elk droppings if i picked them up when i take my walks. But I have to draw the line somewhere. Reminds me too much of picking up dogie dodo, makes it a little hard to enjoy the walk.

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

steamyb, if that's the sickest thing you've seen on the forum, you need to stick around awhile. Or try going over to the compost forum. Things get pretty freaky over there!

sbryce, I'm wondering if goose would possibly be preferable to horse. Horse droppings have a lot of weed seeds. I wouldn't think that would be the case with goose, but I could be wrong.

Deanna

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wouldn't know if goose droppings have seeds. I haven't seen any sign of seeds.

I picked up more today. This may be my last time. Between mowings, waterings, and some idiot who picks them up off the grass to take home (!) the goose droppings are getting harder to find.

Hey, I understand picking up manure on your walks. I have a plastic bag full or horse manure out on my deck. I have a small container with some manure aging in it. When it breaks down enough, I'll toss in about 10 worms and see how they react. If they seem to enjoy themselves, the manure all goes in the bin.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor