Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old refrigrator

Posted by PlanterMunn 6/B/OK (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 05 at 18:23

I was wondering if anyone uses an old rifrigrator.
I have one . It still has the door seal. I can rig some vents in the top. But do I need a drain hole in the bottom?

In the freezer half. I have been saveing orange and banna peels coffee grounds threw in a few handfulls of grass and leaves. Just letting it cook for now. In the other side. I think I want to make dividers. I was thinking hardware cloth or screen, Just circles. Then after the freezer side starts to get full. Just start filling one of the screens.Then move some worms over after it has cooked a while. Or after I have a few rings full of goodies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old refrigrator

• Posted by LisaK 10 S FL (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 9:41

There was a thread on this a while ago. See below

--Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Fridge as bin thread

o

Unfortunately Amy's site has been down for a while and I don't know of another link to that article.

o

Thanks

o

I used a microwave for a minicomposter. Worked good too. Here is a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: compost

o

Welcome zxasqw
Some of the forums at Garden Web are very slow. A lot of people want it to be a fact sheet with a search engine. But others are more lively.

My fridge worked out well for a couple years. Then we had 56 inches of rain last year. Kind of wiped it out. I have a bin in the house now and I vermi compost outside with a modified Japanese ring system . The worms turn it all no muss no fuss. The Vermi compost from the indoor bin I mix with a soil less seed starting mix. It makes lovely stuff.

I am going to use my fridge for a raised bed.

Thanks for the response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here