Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corn in my bin

Posted by wowworms MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 18:26

I have just started my bin about a week now things seem to be going okay. I think i read somewhere that i can put dried corn husks in. Should i do any thing specific to them? What about the corn cob?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corn in my bin

I do not have much experience with corn in bins. During corn season (not sure when, but corn was ~ 10 for a buck), we went through a bunch of corn. I did not give them the used cob. I felt that was like giving them a dried out stick :-(. I did give them the husk. After shucking the corn, I pushed back the worm bedding and layed the husk flat on the bottom. I essentially covered the entire bottom of the bin with husks. Total, I gave them husk from 10 corn. It took some time, but they eventually ate it all. I have not given them any since. WHen I do pick up more corn, I will give them husk, but not core.

Others may have different experiences.

o

I've added it all. The husk, the cob and even cob with the kernels after my kids pecked a few bites off. It takes the cob longer to go through the process, but it is the same when you add it to your regular compost. My feeling is that it all is organic matter, and it will all break down. The worms don't care, eventually the bacteria will start munching it down, and the worms will eat the bacteria.

o

chop either cobs or husks up as much as you have time for or they'll take a very long time to disappear

Bill

o

Nowadays I cut corncobs up before I put them in the bin, but once I remember putting some in whole, and later found that the insides were hollowed out and there were a whole bunch of baby worms inside!
Betts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here