Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowafarmersdaughter

ID: red wiggler eggs and babies

My bin has a number of teeny tiny white wiggly things; I have assumed these were baby worms. What do the eggs look like?

Here I am showing my ignorance again!

Thanks everybody you have been so much help!

Comments (11)

• squeeze
    16 years ago

check the link below for good pics - see the 'Juvenile Worms and Cocoons' album .... the teeny white things are not worms, some type of mites or larva, not a problem whtever they are but may indicate the bin is a bit too wet

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Amys' worm pics

• onafixedincome
    16 years ago

The little white worms are called enchytraeids, or pot worms. Not harmful at all, and I've seen zillions in mine side by side with the worms. Amy's photos are exceptional.

• wormy_acres
    14 years ago

Howdy iowafarmersdaughter, I agree with onafixedincome. Those little white worms you're seeing are not baby red wigglers, but rather Enchytraeids. Aquarium keepers (myself included) call them "white worms" and raise them to feed to fish.

Amy's photos are great. I just wrote an article on my worm blog with close-up photos of red wiggler eggs a couple days ago, including what they look like while still in the bin:
    Red Wiggler Compost Worm Eggs/Cocoons.

Once you've seen them a few times, they become pretty easy to pick out. They start out fairly pale yellow, and turn reddish-brown as they mature.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://vermontworms.com/red-wiggler-eggs-compost-worm-eggs/

• mma_fanatic976
    14 years ago

i think more than likely they are cause my worms as babies are like as small as can be but you can tell its a small worm if you post a picture i will identify if its the same thing thats in my worm bed.

• beth_monsterworms
    14 years ago

Iowafarmersdaughter, how big are the "teeny tiny white wiggly things"? We have TONS of baby worms in our bins right now. They are about 1/4" and white and wiggly. They turn color once they reach about 1/2". If you find worms that are larger than 1/2" and white, then you are looking at pot worms.

• drakerick_gmail_com
    14 years ago

I to have tons of tiny white wigglies, and was a little concerned they might be a small army of flies getting ready to spring out on me. They are all about 1/4 inch in length. I did see some little worms that were the proper color that were a little around 3/8 - 1/2 inch in length. So as long as I don't see any inch long white guys... is it fair to assume these are my baby red wiggler worms?

• beth_monsterworms
    14 years ago

Hi Rick,
    Sounds to me like you have baby red wigglers. Congratulations!!
    Beth

• lefeavers
    10 years ago

I think potworms annoy Reds. Separation by hand had P.Worms all Stuck to Reds.(Some did have Baby Reds In tow like mother nature program LOL) earmark for Eggs? Look for P.worms, find eggs.interesting hunt! Why all the Pot worms- interest in eggs? Is this due to bad conditions that lead to egg laying? Maybe. Mine hatched 20 pink reds AS I separated eggs.Took hours, all in my 1st bin. Yes, the pinks stood- out even in new born. Gently found more babies and may, SLOWLY watch 1st bin casting-Call for more BEFORE using it. Note: I finally Dipped each Red in rain water, counting as I went. Fewer potworms transfered in process, count 128 adults! I believe Some actually knew I was cleaning Off Pot worms, b4 finally dipping 2 save time. Egg hunt Is STILL ON...W-S N.C.

• lefeavers
    10 years ago

Invasion! Separation of eggs/poop/ babies. My first bin & the pot worms are surrounding baby reds.. 2nd day allowed them nooks & crannies on white plastic bag. During search I realize ten ir more smother 1 baby. Also , during Adult coynt/ separation = some seem to Know I was clearing pot worms fromeye's (there should be Two ((eye brows)) Micjey Runey) LOL. They seem to hold still. I finally got rain water- rinse started, as a quick Pot worm in my eye REMOVAL. This speeds up separation process. Still what to do with P. Worms. Will they harm Tater' Crop? Do they really eat Nematodes. I dont think red likes em.

• lefeavers
    10 years ago

Invasion! Separation of eggs/poop/ babies. My first bin & the pot worms are surrounding baby reds.. 2nd day allowed them nooks & crannies on white plastic bag. During search I realize ten ir more smother 1 baby. Also , during Adult coynt/ separation = some seem to Know I was clearing pot worms fromeye's (there should be Two ((eye brows)) Micjey Runey) LOL. They seem to hold still. I finally got rain water- rinse started, as a quick Pot worm in my eye REMOVAL. This speeds up separation process. Still what to do with P. Worms. Will they harm Tater' Crop? Do they really eat Nematodes. I dont think red likes em.

• lefeavers
    10 years ago

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz