Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenr1963

uhh ohh!!!!

kenr1963
14 years ago

I've been getting ready for the cow manure when it does come and was explaining what I was fixing to do to a friend.When he asked a very interesting question.What are you going to do with your free range chickens?It had'nt even entered my mind.I don't even have a shed for them they roost in trees.Will burlap protect the worms?

Comments (8)

• 11otis
    14 years ago

You are writing about protecting the worms, right?
    Will it be a bin or just a cow manure heap for the worms to come to, to make a home?
    I don't think burlap will do since the chicken will just peck through it.

• steamyb
    14 years ago

Throw a piece of old carpet on the worms if you don't want "free range wigglers".
    And we have coyotes in Winston so I donÂt think chickens would range free here for long.

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Old carpet would work great. I have seen a 700 square foot windrow covered in carpet. It keeps the critters out and the top of the bed damp and dark.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Old carpet probably works great. But WWMSD? What would Martha Stewart Do? It would be too ugly for many gardens. Synthetic carpet does not meet my in the clouds utopia dream of Eden on earth. Have at me. I have no defense for my citified view of how I want to dream the country really is. True or not.

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Build a 'chicken wire' fence around the manure/worm habitat. Are these worms for composting or for bait or to sell?

• mendopete
    13 years ago

Martha Srewart would not approve of much at my place, and I doubt that she is into worms. I wish there were no synthetic material that needed to be disposed of. Reusing and reducing carpet (yes worms eat it eventually) is much better than putting it in the landfill, IMHO.
    The windrow I referred to is proudly shown to visitors at the Thanksgiving Coffee Company as part of their GREEN pitch. The wonderful coffee they roast is from all shade grown, organic, free-trade coffee beans. Paul (owner and avid wormer') uses several tons of vermicompost annually in his community garden and orchard.
    I have read several posts on this forum recently that were critical of people using their worm bin as a "garbage can". I see nothing wrong with that. People raise worms for many different purposes.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Recycling is beautiful to me!
    Pete

• mendopete
    13 years ago

I believe that other than the fact that it is synthetic, carpet is the perfect worm-windrow cover. It is heavy enough to withstand wind, will repel most predators, allows excellent moisture and air exchange, shades the bed and retains moisture, and is VERY easy to pull/roll back for feeding and maintenance.

• kenr1963
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These worms are for composting I'm going to use the windrow system got 12 to 14 tons of fresh manure comming in two weeks.Steamyb these chickens are survivors LOL!!So far.I'm layed off and trying to make some extra money Also disabled.P.S.Me and my sons are going fishing tomorrow and I couldn't bring myself to use some of my worms I kept thinking forty mature breeders I just cain't so I will buy some tomorrow and any we don't use will go in my bin.(IS it catching)?

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath