Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_keep_digging

maple seeds (helicopters) as bedding?

just.keep.digging
12 years ago

I'm starting a worm bin (i'm using a rubbermaid bin) and was wondering if i could use the maple seeds as a bedding. They are those 'helicopter' leaf type things. I have a huge amount of them, thanks to the maple tree next door, & feel bad just tossing them in the trash. Our yard is to small for a regular compost heap, but i wanted to know if they would be a safe bedding for my worm bin. I'm mainly using old cardboard, paper, & some peat pots that i no longer need as the bulk of the bedding & was wondering if a couple handfulls of these annoyingly abundant seeds would be ok. I was planning on getting african nightcrawlers if possible not the red wrigglers. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Chevelle

Comments (11)

• sbryce_gw
    12 years ago

A couple of handfuls may be OK, but....

I suspect they will decompose slowly. And some will probably sprout. A few sprouts are OK, but lots of sprouts can be a pain when the roots get tangled up.

I wouldn't use them.

• JerilynnC
    12 years ago

They will probably be more like 'food' than bedding and that's the way to try to use them.
    I don't think they will do anything 'bad', but I would test them before putting in a whole bunch. Cover about 1/4 of the bin with about an inch of them and see what happens. I would let them sprout and grow a bit before you pull them. Normally, the roots of plant sprouts will give off exudates that feed the microorganisms which in turn feed the worms.

I once threw some old grass seed in a bin, let it grow a bit and when I pulled it out there were tons of worms all over the roots.

I would also rake up the remaining seeds and stick them in a box for storage, because I think they will turn out to be good.

• sbryce_gw
    12 years ago

When we talk about "bedding," we mean high carbon materials that decompose slowly. I would think that maple seeds would be bedding. That may change after they sprout.

Covering 1/4 of the the bin 1 inch thick with anything is more than a test. When I tested foods, I put a handful in one corner of the bin. I wouldn't want to do more than that with something I was not sure the worms would like.

• dowbright
    12 years ago

I think they'd work fine. The insides are green matter, right? Been a few years since I played with them and took them apart! The outer carbon?

Experimenting with different materials is one of my favorite parts of raising my guys, but as folks recommend above, do SMALL experiments, and not more than a couple at a time. It's horrifying to discover you've made your bin a hellhole for them without meaning to.

And it's a GREAT joy to find that they like something you have in abundance. It feels good to make use of it and create something better with it too.

I'll be looking forward to your report back on this!

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

I don't think a few of them would sprout. I think lots of them would sprout. Sounds like a big pain in the tush to me.

Deanna

• patrick1969
    12 years ago

I might be inclined to pre-sprout them in water or a wet paper towel, then throw the seedlings into the bin once they are 4-6 inches tall. They would take a while to get from green sprouts to mush but shouldn't be too long once the roots are pulled out to the original medium.

• JerilynnC
    12 years ago

Deanna, I think it would be a 'good thing' if a bunch sprouted. I would just stir them into the top layer of bedding with a hand garden fork and they would become food for the worms.

• just.keep.digging
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, i think im gonna go ahead and try it. I also have another question. Can i throw the weeds from the garden into it? Im talkin about no bigger then 3 inch tall sprouts, those dang maple seeds sprout quick! Its saddening for me to see what could become beautiful compost, thrown away, all bc we dont have space for a compost pile. @ jerilynnc, i agree i think havin some sort of living plant in the bin for a short time would be nice for the worms. Like you said itll feed the microorganisms the worms eat, & we def cant forget about them!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

To go along with both the put them in a box for storage and the sprout them... how about putting them in a 5 gallon bucket along with any weeds and water? Put a cover on because an open bucket is dangerous to little ones. Let them sprout then break the sprouts. Add them water and all or by the wet handful and put more maple seeds into the water in the bucket. Think about all the maple $$$$syrup that will not be made from these seeds. Maybe pot a few up to bring to a local flower garden plant swap. When life gives you maple seeds... Or they could be swamp maples?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

To go along with both the put them in a box for storage and the sprout them... how about putting them in a 5 gallon bucket along with any weeds and water? Put a cover on because an open bucket is dangerous to little ones. Let them sprout then break the sprouts. Add them water and all or by the wet handful and put more maple seeds into the water in the bucket. Think about all the maple $$$$syrup that will not be made from these seeds. Maybe pot a few up to bring to a local flower garden plant swap. When life gives you maple seeds... Or they could be swamp maples?

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

Only put weeds in there if they don't have seedheads on them.

Deanna

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths