Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie - cloth over liquid bin question

Posted by mccaba Zone 6 Buffalo NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 19:48

Hello,
I'm relatively new to vermicomposting, and have a question. I have a 4-tray composter from Wormswranger, and things are going well so far (worms have been in for 3 weeks). Today I did a little checking on them and noticed that most of the worms, along with what looks like just compost to me (no big chunks) are laying on the cloth layer which is between the first tray and the liquid collection tray. I didn't think they were supposed to be there, so I moved them back to the first tray, pulled the cloth tight, and set the first (bottom) tray back on it. Should I have left it alone?
I know, a little late to ask now, but I just didn't think of asking here first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie - cloth over liquid bin question

Worms that make it down there might find their way back, or they might eventually die. I would have done the same thing. In fact, I would make it a point to check every 2 or 3 days to see if any strays got down there, and put them back in one of the working trays.

o

Mine go down in there all the time and then come back up (I've watched them going both ways). I don't worry about it because as long as you have the cloth pulled tight and the liquid isn't so full that it is touching the fabric then they are just doing their job and "working" in this part as well. When there is nothing left but compost in that part they'll stop going down there.

o

• Posted by mccaba Zone 6 Buffalo NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 9:41

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep checking on them.

o

Hi, Mccaba,

I have the same system that you have, but when I bought mine from Wormswrangler last year, they weren't including the weed cloth for between the collection and bottom tray. I had to come upon that idea myself. Don't worry, the downward migration is normal. They're just exploring. The cloth keeps the worms and VC from gunking up the collection tray. The worms will find their way back up in their own wandering time. If you want, you can also put some shredded paper or cardboard in the collection tray. It will absorb any excess liquid, prop up the cloth, and can be added to the upper trays later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here