Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpearcy10

OSCR Jr.

bpearcy10
15 years ago

I may not have have achieved it exactly, but I spent less than $26.00 on this project.

Comments (9)

• bpearcy10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some more pictures of the reactor bin and collection bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Build a Worm Bin

• geosar
    15 years ago

I think you are on your way. I actually just glued the screen on the top of the reactor bin and just keep a cover on the screen to keep the light out but air flowing. I think you will be happy with this bin.

George

• acenjason
    15 years ago

Forgive my ignorance, but could you tell me how that bin system works? or post pics of it in action? I have a tub bin myself that looks sorta like this but I was wondering what the lid with the screen is for and what reactor? Looks kind of cool!

• mbetts
    15 years ago

The OSCR Jr has two working bins and one bottom bin. The working bins have many holes in the bottom (as well as some on the side) and the bottom bin has holes in the side but none in the bottom.
    The idea is that you place one working bin in the bottom bin and fill it with bedding, worms, and stuff for the worms to eat. When the first working bin is full you put the second one on top, add the bedding and food, and wait for the worms to finish their work in the bottom bin and move up through the holes to the upper bin.
    Meanwhile, any leachate drips into the bottom bin. You may have to empty it from time to time and rescue some stray worms from down there.
    The lid is made with two Tupperware lids fastened together with space between them for air movement. The bottom one has a screen to let the air through but not the fruit flies (ha!), and above it the other lid keeps the light out.
    When the top bin is full, in theory the bottom one is ready to by harvested. So you take out the worm compost in the bottom bin, sort through it for laggard worms (or not), and then the former bottom bin, now empty, becomes the top bin and you start all over.
    I've been using one of these bins for about six months. I haven't harvested anything yet, but the worm population has been growing nicely, and I think it's a pretty darn good design, especially as a starter bin.
    I do have one improvement to suggest, and that is to add a drain hole at the bottom of the bottom bin (where the leachate collects). Cut the top off a soda or water bottle, drill a 1" hole in the wall of the bin near the bottom, insert the bottle top from the inside with some adhesive caulk to hold it, and then screw the bottle cap on from the outside of the bin. This is an idea I got from another poster on this forum. Works great!
    You can find the plans for the OSCR Jr. just by googling. All you need to make it is three 10-gallon Rubbermaid bins (Lowe's and Target carry them), a drill, a few scraps of wood and a piece of window screen, and a utility knife to cut the hole in the lid. And one empty water bottle!
    mbetts

• acenjason
    15 years ago

OK I see now, thanks for the info. Its very much like my set up except that instead of a third tub collecting leachate I am using the 2nd tub lid turned upside down with 2 bricks for spacers between tub and lid. I live in a dry climate and have to add water every day and still have never had one drop of leachate yet so even though the upside down lid is only about 1 inch deep it works OK. I'm kind of disapointed though cause I wanted some leachate for my house plants while they wait for castings o well.

anyway, nice bins !!

• steamyb
    15 years ago

If you have had this thing running for 6 months, you should be way past due on harvesting. I harvested an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote at 5 months and got 40 lbs of compost and enough worms to start 3 more 18 gallon totes. What's up?
    I don't understand...

• 11otis
    15 years ago

steamyb:
    not all bins/vermicomposters are alike so, count your blessings.
    It depends on a lot of things but most important, the ideal conditon of the bin and the initial amount of worms, not the size of the bin.
    Otis.

• steamyb
    15 years ago

Just seems like a lot of work and money for...?

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

"Just seems like a lot of work and money for...?"

- diverting food waste from the landfill
    - great compost for the garden
    - mellow pets

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions