Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoorayfororganic

Is it ok to put nuts/seeds in your worm bin?

hoorayfororganic
11 years ago

I have avocado pits so I sliced/shaved them up into a bunch of pieces but just want to check.

Since nuts and avocado pits probably contain fats I wasn't sure, since it seems like oils are something to avoid in worm bins, but then again maybe nuts/seeds/avocado pits are ok? (I don't care if they sprout, just want to know if it's ok to feed them to the worms!)

Comments (14)

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

I have fed ground up avocado seeds to my worms. They are fine in the bin. You really do need to grind them up if you want them to break down.

The problem with fats and oils in small amounts is that can go rancid before they decompose. That will not be a problem with avocado seeds or nuts.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I read the book Worms eat my garbage and it said you can put meat in there. I thought that was a big NO NO. She also listed alot of other things that I thought shouldn't go in the worm inn.

• PeterK2
    11 years ago

Bently tried meatloaf iirc. It's more of the smell and other critters the stuff might bring as it rots as opposed to actually hurting the worms I think. Wouldn't want racoons ripping into your inns. The most I've done is grease soaked pizza box cardboard, no problems.

• patrick1969
    11 years ago

I've put the leftovers from cleaned fish and shrimp tails in my indoor worm stack. The only problem I have is if I don't bury them, they will stink a bit.

• JerilynnC
    11 years ago

Nuts/seeds are fine, I've actually had avocado seeds sprout in the worm bin.
    One thing to watch out for if you are putting stale nuts in the bin is the salt content. Best to rinse them off.

• rocksnmud
    10 years ago

I know this post is rather old, but I have been digging through the archives.... But my question is somewhat relevant to the nuts/seeds comment..

What about the pile of seed shells and stuff underneath a bird feeder? Shells, maybe some seeds, maybe some bird poop.... would these be okay?

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

RocksNMud, I say try it and let us know what happens.

• rocksnmud
    10 years ago

sbryce, I dont have my worms quite yet... but when I get them (two weeks), I will certainly try and report back!

• mendopete
    10 years ago

Worms will eat seeds and nuts... eventually. Anything organic that will decompose is eventually worm food. I have added it with no problems.

Beware that un-sprouted seeds of unknown varieties may haunt you in the future!

Good luck and happy wormin'

• T Richards
    8 years ago

Hi guys - sorry to bring up an old thread again -- just starting up my worm bin and I drink chia seeds soaked in water every day. Sometimes my jar of pre-soaked chia seeds in the fridge goes a bit off after a few days (I think it actually started to ferment). Googled this and can't find any results online, this seems like the right thread. Is there any harm to the worms in adding some of those chia seeds to my bin along with the other kitchen food/veg scraps? (other than perhaps sprouting some chia plants)? Thanks! :)

• Rice Lummis
    6 years ago

Friends, thanks for all the great tips. Has anyone composted peanut or almond butter? Or is that too oily? I've read that oily salad dressing is bad. Also, what about fruit preserves or jellies? Is that type of food too processed for good compost? Thanks!

• Jason (Zone 10b, San Diego)
    6 years ago

I think the only draw back to peanut or almond butter is that it will clump and only decompose slowly. If it goes rancid it could smell. Sugary spreads can attract undesirable flies and possibly bigger critters. I avoid anything that might tempt my dogs to nose around my bin. The lid is light enough for them to knock off. I'd hate to have them dig through there and then track it back into the house.

• chiara_vv
    5 years ago

I once put in some left over almond/rice milk, and it stunk...it was very much sour after a couple of days. I replaced all the bedding which was soaked in it. That would be the problem of butter too maybe?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County