Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worm harvesting burlap manure burrito.

Posted by mendopete 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 22:01

I made one today! I used about 3 lbs of very aged horse manure and rolled it up into a burrito after sprinkling over a 2'x3' piece of wet burlap. I put this 6" diameter 18" long log in a 22 gallon finishing tote to trap new juveniles. Next week I will pull it and seed a new wormery. A take off of the onion bag technique.

Pete

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worm harvesting burlap manure burrito.

My guess is a lot of the worms will want to hang out there. Also reminds me of ideas of harvesting pure vermicastings in a previous hollow place worms like to hang out. So often the worms seem to be just hanging out and not working. Sort of like laizing around digesting after Thansksgiving Dinner. Sort of a segway into harvesting 100% pure vermicastings to harvest because there is an area the worms bring the vermicastings seperate from where the vermicompost is.

o
RE: worm harvesting burlap manure burrito.

Pete ... great idea! I wonder if an old cotton sock will work as well? I've got a bunch of vermicompost that I assume is full of cocoons, and this method seems perfect, and have no burlap and a ton of old socks. Well, we'll see. Will let you know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here