Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rookie09

Pre-composting

rookie09
15 years ago

I am starting two bins. A small flow through and a 7'x1'x1' wooden box. Both are prepped and waiting for worms (2 weeks). I will have up to 50 lbs of veggies and coffee waste a week (too much I know). I was thinking if I hot composted in my tumbler the water would reduce down and the micobes would build up. Experts please show me the errors of my ways. Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• eric62687
    15 years ago

Hey I'm no expert infact I'm fairly new to this myself. I would definatily pre compost the stuff, 50 pounds of veggie scraps will heat up for sure. And if you put that much fresh scraps in your worm bin at once it will probably go anarobic and kill most, if not all, of your worms. What kind of worms are you getting and how many?

• cathd66
    15 years ago

Definitely precompost and get it broken down (and mixed) as much as you can.
    You might also consider using a windrow approach- a long pile in which you add waste at one end, it composts and then the worms move into it at their own rate. Like continuous flow, but horizontal instead of vertical, and not as much expensive equipment involved.

• briansttt
    15 years ago

I'm not an expert either since I've only been at it for a month or so my self but after watching some videos on the net it looks like that's what all the "commercial" farms do. One it helps build the bacteria, two it makes it much easier and faster for the worms, three it avoids the risk of over heating the bin, and lastly is kills any weed seed that might get mixed into your bin so that your castings aren't contaminated. I think it was something like three days at 120 or 140 kills all the weeds but I'm not positive... good luck with it, as soon as it gets warm enough here that's what I'm going to start doing my self.
    Brian

• rookie09
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am going to start with 2-3 lbs of redworms. I also will have additional bins at work to use as well. These will be primarily to get rid of my company's coffee waste, so will be fed cardboard, paper, coffee waste with occasional fruit or veggie treats. I am concerned about attracting critters at work so will be going easy with the fruits and veggies. Wish me luck.

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

Good Luck!!

Would be a great thing if more offices had worm bins!

• susanfromhawaii
    15 years ago

Luck.

I've never had a problem with bugs leaving the bin except the flying ones. Mites, springtails, things that look like jet black ladybugs, tiny crawlies that I wouldn't be able to name etc. I started freezing my food waste before putting it in after the first fruit fly infestation and haven't had troubles since I got rid of that batch.

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

Rookie09,

If you want to process 50 lbs of waste a week, it will take some time for your 2-3 lbs of worms to grow to the biomass you will need. The general rule of thumb is 1/2# of food per 1# of worms. So if you want to process 50# of waste a week, that is roughly 7-10# a day, which means 14-20# of worms. IF conditions are right. And you have to be prepared for the first six months to be a lot slower than you want.

But I don't mean to discourage you. Rookie, you are doing a great thing for your office and the world!

Side note: Throughout California, the California Integrated Waste Management Board is encouraging vermiculture in its offices. See the following link, then follow to "Recycle Organics, Inside and Out."

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: California Integrated Waste Management Board

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

MSNBC reported on the CIWMB's office worms. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: In California, working worms join the office

• rookie09
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again. I was hoping that the pre-composting would get rid of a lot of the weight -- I had heard that 80% of the weight was water weight. So thought the pre-composting would get it manageable. If not, I have a couple of options. This should be a fun ride. I will probably be posting in 10 days or so with the standard newby "oh my goodness, what do I do?" post. Not making fun, 'fraid I'm gonna be one!!

• leearnold
    15 years ago

Rookie, Have you thought of making a BSF/worm bin? The BSF can definitely handle 50 Lbs. of food a week and their "waste" can then be added to a worm bin. Worms do REAL well on it!

• briansttt
    15 years ago

You can actually buy a "special" bin for raising BSFL it's called a Biopod. I put a link on here that will give you all the info on it that you could possibly need.... Good luck, I was thinking of trying to get the school I work at to do this but the problem is that they only live in the warm season so up here in zone 5 I think we'd be SOL in the winter unless you had a heated greenhouse or something...

Here is a link that might be useful: Biopod

• rookie09
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info on the bsfl composting and the biopod. I am very intrigued but apprehensive. Do either of you do this? I am going forward with the worms and see how that goes. Maybe if I figure them out I will venture down the bsfl path.