Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anisten_gw

Thanks Dad for making me this awesome flow through bin, pictures

Anisten
15 years ago

I wanted to be able to have a system that would enable my worms to eat the scraps as they wanted and also make it easier for the harvesting. So my Father in Law made me this worm bin the dimensions based on the grill he found from an old BBQ @ the curb. Then my Husband lined it to preserve the wood.

Comments (11)

• lostmarbles18
    15 years ago

Looks and sounds like you have 3 winners there. The bin,hubby, and father in law. Nice idea

• pyropunk
    14 years ago

awesome!

• folly_grows
    14 years ago

What a couple of great guys you have. They're Keepers!

• mbetts
    14 years ago

Wow !

• Anisten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. Here is an update.

I LOVE THIS BIN! I fed them 2 nights ago aprox. 4-5 pounds of vegetables that were previously frozen or starting to rot due to the fact that my fridge broke down. I would never of put this much foodstock in @ once in my regular Rubbermaid bin as it would of spelled disaster.
    I first put in over 6 inches of leaves and then covered the food with another 3 inches of leaves again. It heated up just slightly and the next day the volume dropped by over 3 inches. Yesterday I put some freezer jam in a glob @ the top and all is well. No liquid coming out the bottom but the paper on the grill is very moist. Today I will feed it again(another pound or so)as I still have rotting veggies but will cover all with a thick layer of shredded paper.

• ledge
    14 years ago

neat bin!

• rosegone
    14 years ago

What a wonderful design! I have exactly the same design brewing in my mind for a while. I was glad to see some people have the same design like mine and put it in reality!

Would you care to share the design/dimension with us in this forum? And how much all the material cost?

And at last, do you think this flow through can stand outdoor?

Again, it's wonderful to see ppl experiments all kind of flow through! That's another great way to introduce vermicompost to poeple!

• wormnelly
    14 years ago

I showed my hubby these pictures and he shook his head and ran away! But he is good - he feeds the worms & chops up waste greens for our weekly feeding!

You have 2 nice guys in your life!!

• Anisten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't think my father in law paid for anything as he used scrap pieces of wood to build it and off course the grill from the curb.

I don't think it would do well outdoors unless you were to somehow protect it as in the wood would rot pretty quickly.

The other bad thing of it not being painted is that you have to be very careful as the outside bare wood gets dirty pretty quickly.

As to the dimensions it was made to fit the grill but here they are.
    37 inches high without the wheels
    25.5 inches length
    15 inches depth

there is 21.5 inches in where the bedding/worms can go in.
    And that leaves 14 inches in the opening with the remainder to the grill.

Hope that helps and if you are building one please do post pictures.

By the way the bin is working well but some worms have fallen through the grate as the paper broke through in some spots. So I decided to put some finished vermicompost in the drawer to give it a chance to dry and also to provide a home to any that fall through. No liquid falls through so I am not worried about rewetting the vermicompost.

• kalantasgardens
    12 years ago

nice idea,

any updates after two years?

thanks,

Benjie

• TravelingBiker
    12 years ago

That looks really interesting, but with that plastic liner in there, I wonder how it gets enough air to compost... Also, what catches the water that leaks out of the bottom?