Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colin3

swarming

colin3
12 years ago

Maybe swarming isn't the right word, but I'm puzzled that in one of my two Worm Factory tray stacks, for the past several days there have been great writhing worm clumps in all four corners, the size of my fist. It's not hot, and they're not trying to escape - I know what that looks like. They seem happy enough, actually, but I'm curious because I've never seen this kind of massing before. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• Karchita
    12 years ago

They ought to look happy. It's an orgy. :-)

• colin3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You'd think they'd get tired after a couple days.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

I do not know what it is. It is spring. Maybe moisture is low and they are trying to save it. Maybe add water and bedding and a sprinkle of oatmeal to the middle. I am not sure why I suggest that. On the other hand they seem to be self harvesting. Mabye soom they will lay a lot of eggs. Grab the four handfulls and start a new bin. Let the old one age a bit and it is harvested. What did you feed in four corners?

• colin3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I just tried a little more water. For a couple months while I renovated the kitchen they got mainly cardboard and coffee grounds, and coffee grounds can get dry. Regular feeding resumed last week. Funny part is, I run the two bin-stacks roughly in parallel, and one is behaving normally, while the other has, still today, these thick masses of worms close to the top, writhing so vigorously that you can *hear* them a couple feet away.

I did put some ginger paste in a few days ago. Could that have gotten them excited?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

Those worms are obviously way upset they are not in the Mary Ann bin.

• dowbright
    11 years ago

I wonder if the writhing is pain or discomfort? Ginger is pretty sharp.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

I wonder if he grabbed the worms and put them in the other bin? Would they be happy then?

• dowbright
    11 years ago

How much paste? In how much of the bin?

• colin3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I now think the cause was heat from the middle of the bin -- specifically, a batch of potato peels in the very center that took off like a nuclear reactor, producing both heat and dryness. That explains why worms went to the relatively open corners. There are typically an awful lot of worms feeding in that top tray, and if you drive them out of, say, half of it the resulting concentrations are truly impressive. All back to normal now.

A good lesson to poke around a bit and notice changes in temperature and dryness in different parts of a bin.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths