Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anewgarden

Wanna have fun? Wanna have BIG fun?

anewgarden
14 years ago

For about four hours today I separated worms from castings. Loved every minute! Starting about two weeks ago I did the watermelon rind way of separation, which worked Ok. Got lots of worms out, but far from all. I did it three times, and still there were plenty of worms left. Then I did the method where you take a plastic bag and poke holes in it then lay it across a second bin, and then spread some worms and castings from the first bin on top and they zoom out of the light down into bin #2. That worked OK too, but it left bin #2 with too much moisture, didn't want to start a mite problem, so I didn't do it over and over.

Needling to get compost, TODAY, for my big tomato pots, I took it all outside and made pyramid shaped piles of it, as I had seen done somewhere, and they did do as expected and scurry downwards and I was able to take castings off the top and sides. But that TOO took a while, they go down into the dark of the pile slower than one might think, so mostly I ended up doing the separation as I've done before, by hand. Which I do find fun and meditative. I bet those Disturbers Anonymus understand..

Only one problem, never enough yield! I always want more compost! I now have three bins, small but, still three bins, one of which I harvested today, but when it comes to Tomatoes and Roses, there is never enough!

Hope bins #2 and #3 get themselves ready soon.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area