Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild_08

New to worms

Flowerchild_08
12 years ago

I just started a worm bin. I did some research and started a bin with 2 rubbermaid tubs (one inside the other for drainage). I put a ton of cardboard, newspaper, and packing paper (we had just moved) in the bin along with a few spritzes of water and some food (not a lot), added more bedding and a few more spritzes of water and let it sit for 2 weeks (while I waited for the worms) as per the instructions I found online. When I got my worms, I followed the package instructions. I dumped them in and covered them with a damp piece of newspaper. The instructions said that it could take 24-48 hours for the worms to get acclimated and start moving around, so I let them sit for about 36 hours and went to check on them. When I lifted the lid a ton the edges of my totes were covered in worms! They were escaping! I took some packing paper and swished them all back down into the bin and did some more research. I think that it's possible that my bin was too wet. I also read that you can't have too much bedding, so I threw in a ton of cardboard and packing paper. And I let them sit for another 24 hours. When I checked on them again, there were fewer trying to get out and the bin was starting to smell like dirt. I swished the would-be escapees back into their home, added a teeny bit more bedding, and let them sit another 24 hours. This time there were even fewer trying to escape and the bin smells even more like garden dirt. I can't see any worms in the bin, but I'm sure they're hidden under all of the bedding.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Will the worms chill out after a while and stop climbing? I have to admit, I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to bugs and things, so I have to work up courage to go check on them. I didn't think that I'd be squeamish about the worms, but I guess I'm getting sensitive to that sort of thing.

Also, should I poke around and look for them? Or should I just assume that the dirt smell means that they are there and working?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

I'm afraid to touch my worms. I use a barbeque stick, plastic fork, and three tined garden claw to work with them. To get remaining worms out of containers I squirt some water onto them and pour them out. Leaving the cover off will keep the sides of the bin dry and them less likely to crawl out. Best bet is to leave the light on after disterbing them.

• sbryce_gw
    12 years ago

Attempted escapes are normal in a new bin. What they did not tell you is that you should keep a light on over the bin for the first few days. Worms will dig into the bedding to avoid the light.

Poke at them if you want to. We all do. They will be happier if you don't, unless during your poking you discover a problem that needs adjusting.

Yes, the dirt smell means they are working.

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Have you checked the lower bin? Worms also tend to wander down there. I suggest putting slightly damp cardboard chunks to absorb leachate and provide food for the wanderers. There will always be the occasional exploring worm, but most stay put once the ecosystem is comfortable.

Chopsticks or a hand rake are my preferred tools for gently probing a worm bin. If you add new food to the top and cover with the damp sheets of newsprint, you should easily see most of your worms swarming the food after a couple of days. If the food is pre-rotted, you'll see them swarm the food much sooner. This way you can observe the worms without disturbing the bedding.

Andrew

• marauder01
    12 years ago

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have started perfectly to me. A bit of research and preparation has got you off to a great start.
    Having a few worms up under the rim of the lid is very normal. In a 10 gal tote with 2-3 lbs of worms, I have maybe 10 or less worms around the lid when I feed every two weeks. Occaisionally, (very rare) I'll find a few dryed up carcasses on the floor near the bins, but that's not a big deal either.
    I wouldn't poke around too much for a start, but in a few weeks it wouldn't hurt to move things around, checking the moisture levels and population. In a new bin it takes a while for the moisture to even out amongst the new bedding and food scaps / castings.

Only thing I can suggest is to be carefull with the amount of food given. Not knowing the starting numbers (and even if you bought a given number, it can be wildly inaccurate), I'd put no more than a cup of food scraps (blended up is better or quicker to start out, but not required) per month or when the last feed is almost all gone. Remember, they won't starve if you dont feed for a whole month. Not at all like a pet dog or cat. lol. They will leave or die if you over feed way too much.

Nice start, cheers

• Flowerchild_08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great! Thank you for the responses! Even though this is my first post, I've learned so much here.

• sea3663
    12 years ago

Flowerchild_08,
    Research anaerobic composting Bokashi. It's the way to go. Let's end the suffering of worms. Worms don't eat garbage, they eat compost so if you want to do vermicomposting please do it outside. I wanted to vermicompost but after I learned about composting in general and understood the process, I decided against it. Worm composting is limiting, rely too much on the human caretaker and it's so unnatural for the worms.

• fam62cc
    12 years ago

I have been vermicomposting in my basement for about 8 years now and have never had a problem with anaerobia or any bad smell. Maybe the worms aren't eating my garbage but it certainly appears that they are.

Dave Nelson

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

A vermicomposting system has many components (microbes, critters, worms, etc.). My worms most definitely eat garbage...unless you want to redefine "eat" or "garbage". Here's video proof:

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/video/worms-at-the-trough

I did research bokashi and decided it was more work than vermicomposting. You have to either buy or make EM bokashi, then you need to finish the end product off by burying in the ground or putting in a compost or worm bin. It can handle more meat products than a worm bin if you generate a lot of meat waste. I don't. YMMV.

Andrew

• wonderpets
    12 years ago

I wear a latex glove -- from needing to clean up quick and not liking VC under my nails.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting