Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Through the Mill a Second Time

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 0:57

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Why should I condition flow through vermicompost in a bucket when I can run them through a second yet finer flow through system and capture finer vermicompost.

Few worms will be in the first flow through vermicompost. Those found while transfering can be tossed back into the first flow through. Eggs can hatch in the second flow through system, yet will not grow mature enough in the to lay more eggs before once again being re harvested and any worms tossed back into the first flow through.

Its a dream I have.

What say ye? Yea or Nay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Through the Mill a Second Time

I have had similar thoughts, though with worms in the 2nd bin to promote further processing.

Then I asked myaelf "Why?".

I have pretty much decided I am not trying to create the worlds best castings, and any unprocessed food stuff, will continue to break down in the garden anyway.

I have read some arguments that claim impure castings are more beneficial than pure castings.

o
RE: Through the Mill a Second Time

I think it depends on what you want. If you want the very most potent castings, in the most concentrated form, with the least loss of potential worms and are willing to take the time for it, then go for it. If what you want is decent vc and a reasonable increase in worm population, then don't.

But it would be fun to see how very rich you could get the final product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here