Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhrdls

So they like melons...

nhrdls
9 years ago

This forum has been amazing help. There are lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who are ready to share experience and wisdom. A big thank you for the support to newbies like me.

Many of you are experienced in maintaining bin, so you have already gone through similar moments. Please allow me to indulge in my small discoveries and interesting moments..

I remember reading a statement from equinoxequinox don't feed melon rinds to worms, it will only encourage them.

Day before yesterday, I fed my worms water melon rinds. And I saw activity in the bin only once - last time I fed a single cut of rind. It was amazing to see, felt almost like worms could sense the melon rinds and were looking for it all over the bin or after getting a bellyful, they were looking for other activities.

Lot of them ventured little bit outside, poked their heads outside of bin. But none decided that outside of the bin was more inviting. At least no dead worms anywhere outside. By morning, everyone was inside in their preferred places. My bin does not tight fitting lid. And even if it was fitted completely, it has two open gaps that serve as handles. I usually keep it ajar with half inch gap and bedding is covered with multiple full sheets of newspapers.

I even found few (around 30) baby worms. Though I have never found a cocoon in the bin. I understand that these can be pot worms or other species that can coexist, but to me they looked exactly like worms. Red in colour and their movement was wormish - the way they burrow or move around felt very similar to movement of red worms I normally see. But then again, I have never seen any other kind of worm so closely to detect movement patterns.

Few questions for experienced people -

What will be the best place to look for cocoons?
I understand pot worm are white and the small worm creatures I saw were red. What are the chances of these being actual worms?
When you open the lid of your bin, do you normally see lot of activity on top surface? I see many pictures or worms, but never seen that many worms coming on bedding top - unless they were encouraged

Comments (19)

• Mooshy
    9 years ago

WOW sounds like you are chugging along just nicely, well done.
    If the small worms you see have any hint of pink or red in them, then you can say for certain that they are not pot worms and will be your little red wigglers.
    Normally in my bins which are flow through in nature, the cocoons are distributed through the castings. Also if the top of your bin is dark for the worms, you will find many, many worms munching away on the top layer.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Cocoons start out bright yellow and darken as they age. You might not notice your cocoons if they're brownish, so you may have some and not know it.

Congratulations, you sound like you're well on your way!

It sounds like baby worms. When I mess around a bit, to see if all of their food is gone, I'll often find a baby worm on my finger. If it's pink it'll be a baby worm. You're a parent! LOL

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

emerging wormie (popcorn-hull-sized cocoon close-up)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Good Morning chuckiebtoo. A picture that has no doubt helped many vermicomposters know what to look for. I remember it helping me to know what these mysterious "cocoon" things looked like.

To find cocoons harvest a quart of casting like material. Dump it on cardboard or a white surface under a bright light. Get a tool to shuffle the castings such as a Popsicle stick or chop stick. Get your reading glasses. Get real close to the castings like 12 inches away as you root around in it with the stick. You are looking for baby lemons. It is a bit like looking for 4 leaf clovers. I think you will find cocoons quickly.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Strange how this thread was titled "so they like melons" has taken a right turn and seems to be all about cocoons. So be it.

It would be nice if the cocoons would just fall out of the muck that is the castings but instead they are stuck to it and in the muck and need to be manually separated . If I see that I have lots in the castings during a harvest I will take the time to separate . When I do this I often will find 50-60 and know that I have still missed some but if I dont see a lot it all goes in one lumping mass. Its not a bad thing as I will keep my VC moist until Im ready to use and I invariably will find live worms in the mix , still not a bad thing. I dont have a problem if some worms go in my soil for my plants.

Back to the original premise my worms do love the watermelon rinds and seem to go gaga over them. They never last long when I put them in my bins.

• Joyousfree
    9 years ago

Dang, is that only watermelon? I bought a canteloupe the other day specifically because I want to give the worms the rind, just to see them go gaga over something.

Don't get me wrong, I actually do enjoy eating canteloupe... I just had ulterior motives for this particular purchase!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Somewhere scientists should be studying if people with worm bins eat healthier.

• HIFromCA
    9 years ago

Joyousfree, I can't speak for everyone's worms, but mine like watermelon, and LOVE canteloupe.

I'm a big believer in worms are for cleaning up what the people don't eat, but when I want to treat them, canteloupe is their favorite.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

LOL Joyous. Only members of this forum would worry, if they bought the wrong kind of food to feed their herd.

Not to worry, worms love Melons of all kinds!

You'll soon see the rind reduced to a delicate piece of lace. :D

• hops_on_pop
    9 years ago

do you guys break up the rind at all or just toss it in there?

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

The slices of melon I usually leave in one piece, or sometimes cut it in half. Depending how big the area is that I want to put it in.

When I freeze the rinds first, they are cut in chunks then in a bag in the freezer.

This post was edited by jasdip on Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:04

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Mine dont seem to care that much for cantaloupe , but they dive into watermelon, picky little devils. In a few days time you cant even tell I put any in the bin.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Cut off two ends of watermelon so as to form two bowls. Eat watermelon out of bowls with a spoon. Flip each bowl upside down one per bin, plop, right on top, red down, green up. It actually feels more like I am adding water than food. Now is a great time to add tons of new bedding on top. Then place the remainder of the watermelon newly cut flat side down. Slice off the rind. Place these especially in any harvested but aging vermicompost to add a bit of moisture. I guess one could peek under it in a few days to harvest any missed or newly hatched worms.

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

I recently attended a friend's house warming, and as I was about to take a bite from a slice of watermelon, it struck me that I should ask the hostess if I could have all the rinds. When I did, she said, "For compost?"
    I responded, "Compost worms."
    She said, "Here, write it down on a piece of paper and put it next to this jar so people can put their rinds in there."
    I left with about 3 lbs of rind.

Into the indoor bins the pieces went. That was last Saturday. Today is Friday. It took about 3 days for the worms to find the rinds, and now, there are several worms under most of the pieces, but there is certainly no 'feeding frenzy' going on. At this rate, I would expect it to take at least two weeks for the rinds to be consumed, maybe longer. HOWEVER... I did see for the first time since I stared my indoor bins, some "young" (small) worms. (Not "pot worms" Enchytraeidae.)

I think the picture of the cocoon that chuckiebtoo posted is the best one I have seen. I had a completely different idea about what they looked like.

Paul

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Here is a cocoon, before it's mature. They start out yellow and turn dark as they age.

• Joyousfree
    9 years ago

I've seen those!! Thanks, Jasdip, I have seen at least a couple of those in my bin. Next time I mess around in there, I'll look for them specifically. But I just gave them the canteloupe rind this afternoon, so I want to leave them alone for a couple of days before I go in there to see how they like it.

• nhrdls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My eye site must be getting bad. I even tried searching in the bin, but could not find anything looks like that. I keep seeing small pink worms in various lengths, so reasonably sure that I don't have any pot worms that I know off.

Any ways, as long as they are happy and busy, I don't mind not finding a cocoon.

• Niivek
    9 years ago

Jasdip, is that a freakishly small shovel, or do you have giant worms?

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I'm peeing myself Niivek! That's a trowel, that I sometimes use to harvest with. I'm picturing red worms the size of pythons, if that were a shovel.