Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double Flow Through

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 1:45

With the realization that vermicomposting does not happen as we thought it would, with the material on the bottom being the most composted, but with all the material sans the top layer equally composted but mined of the good stuff.... breath, I will do a Double Flow Through Method. The worms in the second flow through will not have the goodies (I may sneak in wetties like watermellon and cantelope that compost uber quick to add moisture if they start to dry) and thus process the material to a more pretty state. All non juvinile worms found in this material will be put into the first flow through.

Second Times the Charm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double Flow Through

What will you use your castings for?

o

Starting seedlings. But I must admit. I have been having so much fun playing around with the worms that my square foot gardening boxes have not been touched yet this year.

o

I can relate to that, it's easy to be fascinated to the point of being non-productive. :)

When I get too carried away with thinking of how to get the perfect castings I try to remind myself that the castings are a means to an end. The real objective is to reduce my waste output and to provide my own compost product for the veg garden.

As such, there is some evidence that vermicompost (not totally processed) is better then pure castings as the unprocessed food remaining increases the amount of nutrient available to the plants.

That said though, I am very pleased with my castings though they are still a bit damp and slightly sticky so I would love to find a better way to dry them out a little so they could be sifted easier.

o
Cardboard Is My Friend

A few hours sitting on corrigated cardboard maybe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here