Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

No matter where I serve my worms, it seems they like the edge of

equinoxequinox
13 years ago

the bucket best. Is it like the inside of the egg shells they also like?

Comments (19)

• randomz
    13 years ago

Mine like where the food is.

• fam62cc
    13 years ago

Mine like where the food is also but they do seem to favor the outer edges of the COW trays.

Dave Nelson

• randomz
    13 years ago

Took this yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uel0QAg-Q7I

Here is a link that might be useful: EF Feeding

• pjames
    13 years ago

WOW!!! I am impressed with your numbers. Particularly on top. I have to dig to see one. I think I simply have not hit any where near the population density my bins can handle. Maybe I better re-think my idea of not retrieving cocoons.

• antoniab
    13 years ago

Them IS happy worms!
    Great video!

• 11otis
    13 years ago

Great herd!
    How long have you got that tray processing and how many worms do you figure are in there?
    Mine don't come to the top like that.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Them is happy worms!" eye opening. And it gives Voice to your posts. Posters are apparently REAL people! Not just words on a page.

• smalltowngal
    13 years ago

It would be neat to see videos of everyone's worm systems. Those worms do look pretty happy.

• fam62cc
    13 years ago

What is the material you used for a cover in that video?

Dave Nelson

• antoniab
    13 years ago

Oh, and mine don't come to the top like that either. I wonder if it is because of the covering you use?

• randomz
    13 years ago

That tray is probably getting towards 2 months at a guess, I haven't been doing many notes though I sometimes wish that I had more detail. I have no idea how many worms are in there.

I usually feed every day with veg scraps which I have put through a food processor. If it gets too wet I usually add some coir until the mixture stiffens up. I then just feed straight on top (under the cover) and spread it over 1/4 to 1/2 the bin depending how much food I have.

It usually takes the worms a day or so to get into the fresh stuff, so I am usually feeding a day ahead of where the worms are.

That blue cover was cut from the back of an old wind-cheater or jacket. It's a bit fluffy so holds moisture well and so far it's about the only thing I have found that the worms don't eat - at least not quickly.

I think the cover is an important factor in the happiness of my worms. It gives the worms a feeling of safety - a security blanket, it provides darkness, and it provides cooling by evaporation of the water it holds.

You can't see it in the video, but the cover is actually quite damp though I don't recall the last time I would have added water to it.

The bin itself was limed and flushed about a week ago (read my other posts) and the worms have clearly not suffered as a result, in fact I think it has made them happier.

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

My in-ground worm pits are covered with bits of old carpet. They stay at the surface, just as in the picture.
    They are in shade and get a sprinkle from the hose most days. Feed everything but the kitchen sink. [well, almost]

• wendrew8
    13 years ago

Wow, I hope that my worms are that happy, but I'm unsure. Do you know, Randomz, if that jacket is all cotton? Because I believe my little squirms might like a cover something like that! And borderbarb, is there a synthetic material in the carpet, because I worried a bit about that. I do have an old carpet square that I could use but wasn't sure that I should. Thanks!

• randomz
    13 years ago

Wendrew, synthetic is good for a cover as the worms won't eat it.

• wendrew8
    13 years ago

Carpet it is then! Also, do you bury your food when you feed your happy worms?

• randomz
    13 years ago

As above - "I then just feed straight on top (under the cover) and spread it over 1/4 to 1/2 the bin "

• cheelo
    13 years ago

@RandomZ: so how much do you think you are feeding per week? (in weight)

• randomz
    13 years ago

On average, .5 - 1 Kg/day or 1-2lbs per day.

• tamartini
    13 years ago

I thought I was the only one running worm food through the food processor. Thanks, now I don't feel so alone...(haha) My worms like it "on top" too. They do burrow under when I lift the lid to feed them. Today I found my "first" cocoon. (I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks)