Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bedding - newbie question

Posted by jennywren62 VI BC Canada (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 2:22

I have read many posts about adding bedding. Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but is additional bedding added above the worm food, and what is the purpose of adding more bedding? I have been vermicomposting indoors for about 5 weeks, and I think it is going well so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bedding - newbie question

It depends on how you are running your system. If you have a stacked system (where you have bins or trays on top of one another) bedding is added in layers on top of the food. If you have only one bin or tray (where you bury the food in a different spot each time you "feed") you would have to stop adding bedding at some point in order to allow everything to "finish" composting. This is why most people who have had bins for awhile have more than one. You just take worms from the first bin to "seed" the new bin, and then allow the first one to finish. Hope this helps.

o

"bedding" is the base of the system, like soil in the garden, the feedstock is the waste you're trying to get rid of, which will vary over time, especially if you get sidetracked for a few days .... adding more bedding keeps up the volume of the bin, is used to cover feed additions to keep them from attracting other decomposers and prevent drying, and it's necessary to set up the environment for both the worms and the bacteria that change your scraps to worm food .... ultimately the bedding is also food - paper, cardboard, sawdust will all decompose and get used, coir and peat aren't as useful in that respect because they don't attract as much bacterial activity

Bill

o

Thanks for the responses. I'm a happy composter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here