Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My worms are crawling.

Posted by sbryce (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 2:46

My worms are crawling. I think someone posted here recently about cardboard that may have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals. That is the only thing I can think of that could be making my worms want to crawl. I have removed all of the bedding that contains the suspect cardboard. I live in an apartment, and I cannot run my shredder this late at night, so I will have to hope my worms stay put until morning. They can escape below whatever has them annoyed, so maybe if I keep a light on, they will be OK.

I've gone through this before, but last time it was overfeeding with food that had gone anaerobic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My worms are crawling.

I had a mass crawloff a couple years ago when the bedding got too dry. It was terrible. I had my bin on the back porch and I was sick and didn't notice the bedding getting too dry. So my little guys started fleeing out onto the concrete porch trying to make it to the yard, but it was too far for some of them. I found all their little dried up carcases stuck to the porch several months later when I was well again. There were only a handful of them left in the bin by that time. Don't worry, even if you lose a few of them, they are frisky little folks and will repopulate real fast. Cheryl

o
RE: My worms are crawling.

First keep a light on above them. Give something good to eat right away. some banana mush or even some canned pumpkin. Don't use pumpkin pie mix. Just pumpkin in a can. Keep them busy eating until things settle out.Most pesticides will not cause your worms any harm.I spray the outside of my wooden bins each spring with termite poison and never had a problem with it harming the worms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here