Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Harnessing the Earthworm

equinoxequinox
10 years ago

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/oliver/balfour_intro.html

Skip to half way down the page for the worm stuff.

A book online.

Comments (3)

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Quote: "The technique for this intensive propagation is simple, and Dr. Barrett gives such clear and concise instructions that anyone -- whether he starts with purchased stock or native brandlings -- can test the claims made for it for himself. For the English reader, however, there is one serious omission. The optimum temperature for maximum production of egg capsules is given as 70 degrees, and while plenty of advice is given for protecting culture boxes or master beds from too great heat, nothing whatever is said about how to protect them from cold. My own experience may therefore be helpful. Culture in boxes must either be discontinued during the winter, or take place in cellars or heated greenhouses. Culture in master beds can continue provided these are sunk in the ground and covered up with straw in frosty weather. Attention of course must be given to drainage from below, and prevention of flooding from above."

Being from East Texas, or most anywhere really, I'll interpret this into wormers'-understandable language:

Worms like temps that are the same as we do.

If you leave worms in a bin in the back of your van in August with the windows rolled up (as I did early on as a wormer in Houston), they'll die just like your kids will.

If your worms are exposed to freezing temps for enough time that the temps get too low in the environment, they'll die.

If you see a worm on your driveway or sidewalk that's still alive and wiggling and not a dried up carcass, chances are pretty good that he just sauntered out there very recently, doesn't have a clue where he is, and will be a dried up carcass very soon without your divine intervention because although they are blessed with a lotta hearts, brainpower ain't one of a worms' better qualities.

Drowning? Same thing.

Chuckiebtoo

BTW:

Temps on most places on Earth won't get hot enough to fry a worm bin if the bin's moisture content is adequate and the bin isn't in direct sunlight (shade). The back of a van with even cracked windows... in a driveway in Houston in August....or even May....ain't shade. AND, if the bin gets too hot, a lot of the worms will evacuate that bin seeking relief and be all over the insides of the van barely alive, but very hard to get to, when you are trying to remove that awful smell of a bin-ful of sautéed, rotting worms from that van before the drive home......with your wife....353 miles.....who has an intense hatred for worms of any orientation...with your daughter saying "What IS that smell???" about every mile marker.

This post was edited by chuckiebtoo on Wed, May 15, 13 at 11:00

• aufin
    10 years ago

Chuckie, funny story.............wondering, how's the new doghouse coming along?

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

If you knew my better half, you'd know I maintain a doghouse kinda like a summer cottage or lake house....ready for the occasional use at any time.

That said, my wife and I mostly have an understanding about worms. She both despises and fears them, I mostly understand that, and the worms mostly have been assured by me that she'll never go ballistic on a bin.

I've let them know, though, that should she ever actually approach any of them, they should try to look as slimy and menacing as possible.

Chuckiebtoo