Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will red wigglers hibernate outside

Posted by spiced_ham z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 7:48

Hi all,

I have a big compost pile, but it tends to be seasonal (wood chips, leaves etc) and far from the house. I tend so that it is usable at a specific time and then gone. Adding kitchen waste is a hassle because of the mess and the long walk to the pile (for a small amount of scraps at any one time). So I'm planning to start a garbage can composter near the back door for the kitchen scraps. I want the scraps to break down quickly and it is my understanding that red Wigglers will do this better than my native nightcrawlers etc., but I am wondering if I do invest in RWs can I just let them exit the holes in the bottom of the can when winter hits so they can hibernate in deep ground? Will they naturally return when things warm up, or should I just let the the native worms do their thing?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will red wigglers hibernate outside

Depending on where you live, your bin may attract native worms. If you have native worms in your compost pile, you can expect to have them in your bin.

Some redworms may overwinter, depending on how cold it gets and how well insulated the bin is. Otherwise they will lay eggs like crazy and die, then things will start up again in the spring when the bin warms up and the eggs hatch.

o

You may want to take a looke at RWC's experiences with over-wintering in-ground worm pits in Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to Winter worm composting

o

Thanks for the info, it is helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here