Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
t.p. tubes

Posted by wendrew8 MI (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 8:40

Do you all shred and soak your toilet paper and paper towel tubes or do you put them in whole???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: t.p. tubes

I put mine in whole.

o

They would get dampened in the normal course anyway but I slightly dampen them when I put them in. I think it hastens the process a little.

Dave Nelson

o

I line the bottom of the bin with them standing up dry and whole. The paper towel tubes extend up act as air tunnels to let air get to the bottom. Sometimes I would add a layer of newspaper to help the tubes stay dryer to do their job without vermicompost for a while.

Then I cut up my bins into flow throughs and dumped the vermicompost back in and added rivers of water. No doubt they are all wet now.

I try now to only rip stuff up enough to fit into the bin. I don't need work to do. And I have plenty of time. Doing nothing is pretty easy. Plus my hands get tired cutting the tubes into little bits.

o

I put mine through my shredded,the same as all other paper and cardboard.

o

I put about 3 or 4 into one another to make the structure stronger and use them as "chimneys".
When they got really wet and soaked and I have a new one at hand, I shred the wet one by hand.

o

"I put mine through my shredded,the same as all other paper and cardboard."

Shredder. I put them through my shredder.

o

Get 2 and fold them lengthwise, fit them together and slide inside a 3rd one. Wet it all and bury it to be a little breeding tank until it breaks down.

o

Or cut one up the side and slip it over another one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here