Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendrew8_gw

worms in the bottom of the COW

wendrew8
13 years ago

So I went to check on the worms and saw that my bucket below the open tap had worms in it. I lifted off the top and there were probably 30-40 worms in the bottom!!! Why is this happening and what can I do to stop it? I lined the bottom of the first working tray with the cardboard packaging so unless they are somehow getting around that, I don't even know how they are getting there.

Comments (3)

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

This is one of the things I don't like about stacking tray systems. Worms will explore. You will get some worms crawling down into the bottom. There really isn't anything you can do about it. Some people will put a piece of landscape fabric between the lowest working tray and the bottom to catch strays.

• 11otis
    13 years ago

Worms can get underneath the newspaper/cardboard lining and eventually into the leachete tray. I used landscape fabric underneath my bottom working tray, making sure the edges are pulled tight on all 4 sides.

• kathyf-2010
    13 years ago

Yeah, I found the cardboard did not prevent the worms from making their way down to the bottom tray. However, my worms seem to have decided to not visit there anymore. I haven't seen them down there for the last couple of weeks.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations