Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second Tray

Posted by maryt1061 9 TX (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 10:53

Seems like I read somewhere to fill your second tray about half ful of bedding. Would there be any reason to do this in a new setup? I did this and it seems sorta stupid to me to have done so as some worms want to go up and when I lift it I have hanging worms all over the bottom. Maybe I should remove all bedding from the second tray. Yes????? Thanks. Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second Tray

The reasoning behind adding the second tray with bedding only is to absorb excess moisture and to give the worms some place to go if the conditions in the lower tray become uninviting (too hot, too acidic, etc.) Worms will always wander; and as long as you do the tray system, you will have dangling worms. If you lift your first tray, you will probably find dangling worms and some down in the catch tray.

o
RE: Second Tray

I thought that is was a good idea to keep some bedding in any bin when you're adding food regularly. That when you're adding food, you should also occ. add bedding. Partly to cover the food and avoid pests, partly to give the worms a place to hang out and deposit their cocoons. I understand you don't add more bedding if you're finishing' the product, but otherwise, yes. Am I wrong?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here