Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karendee_gw

Would you order worms or buy them at a bait shop?

karendee
13 years ago

I have seen some local bait shops selling red wigglers. I just not sure where to get them. I am getting a bin for mothers day.

I have a bucket with all my stuff ready to go. It smells earthy and has lots of paper and cardboard.

I am wondering if I should order worms or try to buy locally?

I plan to get something like the can of worms or worm factory.

THANKS!

Karen

Comments (16)

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

Do the math. Then order them on line.

Hint: If you want to start with a pound of worms, it will cost you up to 4 times as much if you buy from a bait shop.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, if math is the only factor then I will order them. I have not even priced them at bait shops yet. I assumed worms that are local may be better cause they are not being shipped.

4 times as much is not good :)

Anyone have a supplier they like?

Karen

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

Karen ... There is something to be said for starting small [bait shop] and learning the ropes. I'm thinking of my sister's cry "I killed them", when her first batch of several hundred [from my bins] died. More than one thread in this forum has the same tale to tell.
    Of course,starting small means that it will be quite a while before your 'vermi-herd' is big enough to handle much food waste, but if your bin is a happy place for them, they will multiply like crazy. Just a thought.

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

I ordered mine from Acme Worm Farms, and was happy with them. Somehow I got PEs mixed with my EFs. I have no way of knowing if the PEs came in with the original order, or if they came in with something I fed my worms. (I am not adverse to grabbing food for my worms off of the ground).

Years ago I got an order from Kazarie. If you order their internet special, I think you will get the best price anywhere.

No matter where you order them, you will pay a premium for shipping because any reputable dealer will guarantee that they will arrive alive and in good health.

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

Knowing that you might kill your first batch of worms is not a good reason to pay $130 for your first pound of worms when you could order them on line for under $35.

• pjames
    13 years ago

I bought my first batch of Eh's at Walmart. It was a test to see if I could even keep them for a time. I paid $2.50 or so for the thirty (there were 32 in the box).

There were 55 in the box of red wigglers I bought from another bait store a couple months later. This was last spring. I was patient and have a pretty fair sized herd of each going now. Although I did contaminate my EH bin with a bunch of coccoons from my EF's at one point so I just call that a mixed bin now.

Starting slow and being patient has worked for me. Plus it has not only been very inexpensive but VERY satisfying.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the great advice everyone!!

I did find them somewhere for a good price.

I am not sure how good a company they are but I may try them with a small amount first.

I also posted an ad on frecycle just in case someone wants to share or is looking for somewhere to give away worms.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.shop.redwormproducts.com/addtocart.sc;jsessionid=C67F9E35CE2E3F446417BACAED3D2BF1.qscstrfrnt03?productId=1&quantity=1

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

Remember these people. That is the best price I have seen anywhere. Let us know how the worms look when they arrive.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, i will let you all know how they look. I guess I will take a photo when they arrive. Since I am such a newbie I would have no idea if they are healthy or not. :)
    Karen

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks steamyb

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

karendee, Put a quarter in the picture please.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Idea to add a quarter. I should have thought of that :)

I am still deciding on a bin (prob a flow through) and learning and will order the worms soon.

Karen

• courtcourt
    13 years ago

I got mine a few months ago from Triple G Worm Farm (www.triplegwormfarm.com), one pound for under $25 INCLUDING shipping. I can also vouch for their great customer service, since I had a small snafu with my payment (snafu on my end, not theirs.)

I've definitely killed a few, but they have produced plenty of cocoons and the ones that are still alive are happy and healthy.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the company

I also found this one
    http://www.greenmountainsoil.com/buyworms.html
    They are under 25 a pund too!

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just used tripple G worm farm! the one I found had shipping on top.

Thanks for the link!!!