Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjeans_il

Commercial Vermiculture questions...

greenjeans_il
17 years ago

I'm considering vermiculture as a commercial venture to suplement an ACT application business. I've researched a couple and wanted to know if anyone had any experience or opinions on some that they've heard of.

I'm very interested in the UNCO system but want to get some unbiased feedback from anyone familiar. I'd hate to fall for an overpriced sales pitch. If anyone's heard of other business systems that are comparable or better please let me know. It will need to be a compact system that would fit in a space about 20'x10'. I have additional warehouseing for screening, bagging and storage. Not sure how much vermicompost a system that size will yield but it's better to have too much than not enough.

Comments (13)

• greenjeans_il
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The more I's read the smarters I gets.

I was wrong: I'm interested in Vermicomposting, not vermiculture. I'm not concerned with the size or quality of the worms but with the amount of castings they'll provide.

I'm also not interested in UNCO's overpriced system. I found the "links" post and have a lot of info waiting to be absorbed. I'll come back with better questions in the future. Thanks for the help guys and gals!

• chuckiebtoo
    17 years ago

I would start this venture without "help" if it were me. The biggest problem is creating a market, if you will, which gets into the whole natural vs chemical thing. Lots of prospective users/market prospects want instant results, and you can't give them that.

Start slow, build it up. Hmmm, kinda like vermicomposting, ain't it.

Chuckiebtoo

• wfike
    17 years ago

Just curious, what is the unco "system" and what type of worm is their "Cultured nightcrawler"? I don't want to buy it but always intrested in what other people are doing. I checked out their website and found out nothing? I don't need a 50 dollar video either! Thanks, Wfike

• greenjeans_il
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree, $50 for the video is a little pricey. Their site is a little hard to navigate and they're very discreet in the info they provide. It's all a sales pitch.

I called for more pricing info and when I finally agreed to purchase the video (of which I have no intention of doing) they disclosed that for a reasonable price of +/-$3000 they'll set me up with a business plan and for another $1500 they'll provide me with startup equipment. The more I read and research (of which they insisted I needn't waste my time on) the more I realize what a scam it is.

Sure, they may have a system, it may even be a good system, but I guarantee it's not that good.

• wfike
    17 years ago

Yep, I agree. Their main thing seems to be that it is organized and researched or at least on paper to make it look that way anyhow. When they won't discuss or show you anything about it until you pay it usually means that you don't really need them and they know it.

• edurink
    17 years ago

Let's look at the lighter side.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1333698}}

• kingnorth
    13 years ago

Our site (www.northtexasorganics.net/) is going through a very slow transformation, after some helpful suggestions.

*We are still in the growing phase, and working on our final blend of food, to arrive at the "black gold" standard that one would consider the most ideal casting.

MY QUESTION: "What does it take to be successful in the worm industry?"

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

I feel like I should call you Mister.

Before investing in a business maybe own a personal vermicomposting bin. Nothing like killing a pound of worms to rethink a $3000 investment in worms.

Before investing in a business maybe be sure the company knows what species of worm they are growing to both insure the needs of the worm are met and they are indeed selling what they say they are selling.

UNCO a company that suggests investors do no independent research on their own. What a company. Do they sell bridges too?

You did lots of research very quickly. You should do well in any venture you choose.

I do not know that worms are the ticket to lots of money. They can be part of a larger system. The system may make good food for people and prevent polution. Don't know if it can make lots of money.

"Cultured nightcrawler"? as opposed to an unclutured nightcrawler? Why culture them when the ground gives them up for free for the picking up?

• randomz
    13 years ago

The first thing you need, is a market. If you don't have a market, then everything else doesn't matter. You might have a million worms and trailer loads of castings, but unless you have a buyer lined up with a fair price, then what will you do with it all?

• kingnorth
    13 years ago

borderbarb,

THANKS for the link, however I think the guy in the article is in a whole other league, from us...

It'll be a while before we have a new gravel drive way much less a concrete one.

The worms are just part of our business plan, as we are also working on planting a vineyard.

*We have a wholesaler who said they'd take every bit of the castings we could produce. To date, we are the only wormery within 300 miles, so we are working on securing a regional market, by getting our products in all the local nurseries.

• Stormygale
    10 years ago

The "cultured nightcrawlers" are african nightcrawlers that grow best at 70 to 90 degrees f. They are available as eggs or adults throughout the southern US. The growing medium is naturally harvested partially rotted granulated peatmoss that looks like the castings. The feed is primarily cornmeal and barley grains. The worms are grown in areated (holes drilled in sides at the top) 5 gallon buckets stacked in 4' squares and covered with plywood, with more layers to the ceiling, requiring little space for lots of buckets. The finished product is not pure castings; it may contain 80% peatmoss granules. For separating, the castings and peatmoss pass through a 1/8 inch screen, the eggs through a 1/4 inch screen. The videos and operation are an investment ponzi scheme. All the supplies and equipment are overpriced and sold through UNICO, return shipping costs more to sell your products back to UNICO than they pay for them.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Scam. Scram.

Chuckiebtoo