Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ian_e

Will worms come back to bin?

Ian.E
10 years ago

I built a worm box out of pallet planks and I was wondering, if I put it outside would my worms leave the box? If so, would they come back? Also would my bin attract other non Red Wiggler worms?

The box is inside my house at the moment and they are not trying to escape at all...there are very small spaces in between the planks of the box and the worms can fit in between the spaces, they were getting out of a lot at first but now are staying put.

Thanks!!
Ian.E

Comments (11)

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

If you manage the bin correctly, the worms will like the environment inside the bin better that the dirt surrounding the bin. I doubt you will get many escapes. You may get some visitors, since you will be building an environment that worms prefer to the surrounding dirt. The exception would be a cold winter night when the worms may burrow deeper to escape the cold. But that may not be an issue in Florida.

• mendopete
    10 years ago

I have a 3'x5'x18" deep open-bottom worm bin. Most of your worms will not leave unless you create an environment they can not tolerate. If that happens, they go down and away from the problem until it gets better (think escape route). Also having an open bottom wood bin on top of the ground means great air/gas exchange and you never need to worry about too much liquids. Insects are no worries, and smells are more tolerable.

You need a sturdy yop to keep out critters. If you have moles or gophers, put down a piece of wire hardware-cloth first. You will not want to bring the bin back inside!

Good luck, Pete

• Ian.E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok wow, thanks a lot!! That's very helpful!! good to know it's just their escape route.

A top made out of pallet planks should suffice right?

Do you think regular screen for windows would work for moles, I don't know what kind its is, I just have some in the garage.

Thanks,
    Ian

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

You'll need a sturdier wire for moles. Besides, screen wire will disintegrate even if moles don't rip it to shreds (which they will if they smell those worms)

My raised beds were built 10 years ago on top of this wire size that forms my compost pile....and I've got lots of moles. Never had a mole in any of the 4 4X8 beds.

Chuckiebtoo

• jadeite
    10 years ago

Chuckie - is that hardware cloth? We discovered that mice had gotten into our outdoor worm bin. DH shovelled everything out and discovered a nest inside. He has now lined the open bottom with hardware cloth, 1/4" sized, and is thinking about how to keep them out of the top. They managed to get under the wood lid, through an insulating top and into the bin, all without making a hole.

Cheryl

• Ian.E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You Chuckie, I should already have some of that laying around somewhere also!!

Ian

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

Ok Im a rookie at this worm bin thing but I wanted to try it. maybe 3 weeks now. I bought two tubs of 24x 18x7 and I tried to make bedding like most others Ive seen on youtube shredded cardboard and paper and peat moss moist. So when I got my first order of r . wigglers scrawniest looking things I ever saw and I doubt there were 100 worms. So I contacted another company and this time the worms looked good and looked like 1000 worms. By late in the evening I decided to check it and there were a few worms trying to crawl out , some under the lid 10-15. So I thought maybe too wet. so I left the lid off the light on all night to keep em in and dry out some. By morning the newpaper covering was completely dry so I squirted down the paper and put the lid back on. So far the worms seem ok none trying to crawl out. I also did put some food in one corner so maybe they found it too.

• mendopete
    10 years ago

Chuckeibtoo... that is exactly what I use under my outdoor wormeries and for compost piles which then become worm cages. I have always known it as "hardware cloth". It is available at hardware stores for about $2/ lineal foot in either 3' or 4' widths.

Ian E... Pallet plank lid should work great! Great job on the re-purpose. I have no experience with window screen.

hummersteve Good job keep it up!

Good luck all, Pete

• Ian.E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok cool I found some of it at my brothers that I bought some time ago...glad it was never thrown away!!

Yeah I have pretty much an unlimited supply with my job, we get pallets of cups and everything else for a restaurant on pallets.
    I think I will try the window screen on the top as extra protection from flies, even though I don't have that problem...yet haha!!

Ian

• mendopete
    10 years ago

Very nice build . Your squirm will love their new home!

You do need a top. You gotta keep out all those 4-legged pests who might enjoy your wormfood or worms Predators include rats, mice, skunks, raccoons, opossum, dogs, and cats. Birds and chickens will also have a meal..

Besides protection from critters, a top keeps moisture and darkness in your bin.

You could build a lightweight lid out of the same pallet material.

• Ian.E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You!!

I plan on building a lid for it also...I am going to attach window screen to it to give an added level of protection. We've got all kinds of critters around here.